20v turbo conversion

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Ciaran brennan, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Ciaran brennan New Member

Hello everyone,I have just joined after buying a mk2 golf gti and have started looking into a few different engine options and was after some advice about the 1.8 20v turbo option is it a difficult conversion? Things to watch out for etc any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

2. Farmerchris

Farmerchris Paid Member Paid Member

The golden rule seems to be to have a running donor viechle to start with. A mk4 golf 1.8t can be picked up around 1k these days. An mot failure may be quite a bit less still.
    This gives you 95 % of what you need.

A downpipe and loom conversion after that are (I think) the only two main things which will cost a couple of hundred pounds each.

Then for less than £100 each an intercooler and radiator.

Oil coolant a few hoses and clamps can soon Soon add up add up so worth bearing in mind also.

If you enjoy having a go your self and have an basic idea of car mechanics its a great project.

3. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

totally doable yourself, i did mine and it was the first time i've ever laid a spanner on a car.

one thing i learnt though is that its not cheap to do well.....parts are getting more expensive and be sure to decide on your future tuning requirements before you buy a donor

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Are you in the UK or Ireland?

5. montygreen20vt New Member

I did mine it’s actually pretty easy. I built my
    Own harness and had the ecu tuned. Hardest part is figuring out your boost pipes lol