20VT Boost and injector leaks

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Finite, Mar 20, 2018.

1. m1keh Forum Member

That’s ok, I think if you have replaced the dv your next port of call should be the pcv.

This guide should help a little. In identifying parts that could leak also and methods of blanking the system off.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...catch-can-and-simplify-the-pcv-system.118021/

Further to that a guy here claims that doing a throttle body adaption with vcds fixed all those two faults combined... got to be worth a try as it only takes a minute or so with vcds.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...the-turbo-and-the-throttle-vlave-help.117898/

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Finite likes this.
  2. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

You're right to mention the pcv system :clap:. I noticed the new dipstick tube I fitted when I bought it was coated in oil on the left hand side in a way that can only be misted on by oil containing vapour. The 06A103221AF had an 1" 3/4 plus split in it. I've bodged it up temporarily with adhesive lined heat shrink and self amalgamated tape and refitted. Tomorrow I'll pick a new one up. It still sounds the same, but it should improve things :thumbup:

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    m1keh likes this.
  3. m1keh Forum Member

Sounds like some progress, it might be now you have fixed this one it has found the next weak spot in the system to make a leak as you still have the whistle.

4. Finite

Yeah slowly, but surely. In the beginning I was fixing 2>3 of the most obvious things a day.

Cleared the fault codes this morning and did the TBA. The 17705 was still there, but no 17545 fuel trim. The brake switch is now giving an implausible so I've ordered one of those.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  5. m1keh Forum Member

Sounds like there must still be a small leak somewhere then.

Would be good to get another log now with the issues fixed to see what the airflow is looking like compared to the previous data.

6. Finite

It's running like a champ now from cold even in this mornings early <5°C. It was previously reluctant to say the least off boost in those conditions.

As it happened I couldn't get a pipe local so the repaired part is still on for now. Thanks for the pointers. For a car I bought as a stopgap it's turning out to be the best few hundred quid I ever spent.

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

So that means you are ready to validate it properly at Curby then...LOL

8. Finite

I would dearly like to since it's been sooo long, but there's still the leak, injector seals and tyres as a minimum. Ultimately the cambelt needs replacing and the oil pick up pipe checking. I've been holding out on the tyres in the vain hope that I might find a set of second hand wheels for less than I paid for the entire car, but all I've found in the same style in good condition are the 5x112 PCD off A4 upwards in abundance.

9. m1keh Forum Member

Have the fault codes stayed away now?

10. Finite

Unfortunately not, but the whistle needs to go first I suspect. If it still persists once I've done the injector seals I'll have to get hold of a compressor to help find it.