2E conversion for Mk2 GTI not enough space for aircon compressor?

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by fandango66, Mar 18, 2019.

1. fandango66 New Member

Hi Folks

Has anyone done a 2E conversion on a Mk2 using all the ancillaries including aircon. I kept my 8v head and dropped the whole lump in using the mk2 mounts. All good except the aircon compressor jams against the front crossmember. The pulley actually touches.

I have a 2e lump with power steering and aircon so its fully loaded and all comes very far forwards but have I done something wrong or is it just not compatible. Its too big by about 5-10mm.

The 2e compressor is much fatter/ bigger in diameter than a standard Mk2 compressor and mounts lower down anyway. I have taken it off for now but I do want aircon.

Is there less space in the engine bay on a Mk2 vs Mk3. Surely not.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

How do! can you post up pics of all the parts you have?

3. fandango66 New Member

Right its better now. Had the compressor bolted up wrong. Must take more photos when madly stripping down engines. So there is clearance but not masses...[​IMG]

4. fandango66 New Member

However, check out the other side between the gearbox and the left chassis rail...millimetres lol

5. fandango66 New Member

[​IMG]
    I know the bolts are in back to front. I did that on purpose so if I ever have to take the gearbox out i can slide them towards the engine...not into the chassis rail...I will pull them out and shorten them. BUT on my other GTI there is loads more space...the whole engine sitd lower...

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Glasd you got it in at least, to get pics up you need to put them on a image host such as photobucket and link them back here, or you should be able to upload them direct to the forum now you have over 10 posts :)