2l 8v conversion from a 1.6 carb mk2 year1988

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Kingyindigo, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Kingyindigo New Member

Hey guys I'm new to golfs but have some experience with mechanics. I've seen that there is lots of information on fitting a 2l 8v to mk2 GTI but not much around about converting the lower models to the 2L 8V. Can anyone direct me to a thread with any info to any extra work that needs to be done ? As above I have a 1988 1.6 4+e carb mk2. Or if anyone is kind enough to educate me on what extra there is? Thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

do you want to keep the carb, or convert it to fuel injection?

3. Kingyindigo New Member

Erm I'm thinking bike carbs I've heard it would be easier?

4. rubjonny

well if its staying carbs then everything you have read already still applies, only thign is if you want to change the gearbox for a gti one you may need gti shafts to match depending on the donor/age etc.

fuel wise run a suitable electric pump, fit a kjet 8v fuel relay to the fusebox slot 2 and use the factory pin E/4 to power it, or use big spade N with an inline fuse job jobbed

5. Kingyindigo New Member

Ah ok. Thank you for your advice. If I get stuck you seem like the man to go to on here. Appreciate the advice.

6. rubjonny

there are many more knowledgeable folk on here, I'm just online all week so usually reply first :thumbup: