2L mk4 golf 8v head on a 2L mk3 golf 8v block

Discussion in '8-valve' started by milesmk2, Feb 21, 2011.

1. milesmk2 Forum Member

Do they bolt together properly? I'd like to carb my mk2 8v with a cross flow head and I've already got the mk3 2L block in there.

The other thing I'm not sure on is the top rad hose, would that get past the carbs?

2. madasafish100

madasafish100 Forum Member

search crossflow in the 8v section, there is loads of info on this as it has been a hot topic recently.

I have an AKL crossflow head and weber 45 DCOE carb manifold for sale if you go down this route :thumbup:

The head needs a few minor tweaks such as 2 head bolt holes opening up, and possibly an oil drain mod... i dont think the oil drain mod is required on the mk3 2l blocks tho.

3. milesmk2 Forum Member

How much for the manifold? I'm getting a head on friday.

4. madasafish100

Its a Rowlands manifold From South Africa, brand new never been used. I paid near on 200, so would be happy with 170 plus postage. Its going to be going up in the classifieds within the next week.

5. milesmk2 Forum Member

OK i'll see what i can do when i get payed :)

6. milesmk2 Forum Member

I had a good look through, and theres alot of people using injection instead of carbs.
    Can anyone tell me what my options are for inlet manifolds and TBs??

My car is an A-reg mk2, but i have LOADS of 90spec wiring from pervious cars and almost everything from a digi, just need the engine/ecu loom. so converting it over wont be a problem!

I need to know though what my options for inlet manifolds are. The head im looking at is local, and has the inlet manifold but not the throttle body.

7. madasafish100

Have a look at georgeHH's cross flow thread. He used some knid of plenum set up.

Not sure, but i think you may be able to use the original mk4 plenum, injectors, TB etc and use MS or similar to map it. Dont think a std digi ecu will run it correctly.

8. milesmk2 Forum Member

Maybe I'll just put my bike carbs onto it. Sounds like a lot less hassle!

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Jettadan was running his on a digi ECU from a Mk2 golf - I think it was chipped, but it will run reasonably well on one.

10. madasafish100

:thumbup:

11. milesmk2 Forum Member

AHHH so i can use the digifant injection system! :)

here's some pics of the head
    I need to know which inlet manifold to use to accomodate the digi injectors
    IMG00284-20110222-1504.jpg IMG00285-20110222-1504.jpg IMG00286-20110222-1504.jpg

Some one told me to use the mk3 aircon flange for the blue temp sensor on the side of the head too. Anyone else done that?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2021
  12. SynchroMK2 New Member

the head is from a 2l 8v mk4. do somebody know if the 1.6l and 2l 8v engine has the same head ?