3/4 point unit repair?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by gbk, Jul 19, 2019.

1. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

is it possible to repair these? I’ve attached a vacuum pump to various ports on mine and blocked off the others and I can’t get the pushrod to withdraw. I suspect the diaphragm has gone.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

not easily no, even if you can split them I dont know of any rebuild kits you can buy. back in the day when I was teaching myself these I just bought 3 spare carbs in a job lot and stripped them all down. tested all the parts individually and used them to rebuild my totally knackered unit to fully functional :)

3. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

I suspected as much. Unfortunately these days, old pierburgs are like hens teeth. I've got a couple of old ones myself but the knackered one's from an automatic. I suppose a non-auto version just won't have the increased idle speed, not a major issue really.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

edit: I take it back the auto 3/4 is not the same as manual, ETKA is quite confusing :lol: the manual ones have 3 point, auto and aircon have 4 point :thumbup:

I guess if you pipe it up like a 3 point it'll work just the same though?