3 door small bumper 8v GTI

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RichardDarrenB, Feb 6, 2022.

1. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Hello all

Its been a while! Been a member on the forum for at least 15 years but not been active in some time, good to see the place still going and active.

So anyway thought I'd introduce my latest VW, an 89 F 8v GTI in non metallic black that I bought for a bargain price last year. Its a 7 owner 130k car with a reasonable amount of history and pretty tidy all things considered however it needs some TLC here and there (don't they all)

Not quite the day I got it, this was after a good clean and polish and addition of some 16v style back lights: 20210831_212819.jpg 20210831_212837.jpg

20210831_212739.jpg 20210831_212802.jpg

2. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

First up, i refurbished the centre caps and fitted new red badges:

20210917_094034.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
  3. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Then had the wheels shot blasted and powder coated a bright silver:

20211003_155623.jpg

4. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

20220116_203540.jpg 20220116_203733.jpg Then came suspension, the car was sat on its original shocks and springs which were past thier best, I am too old for bone jarring coliovers so opted for some bilstien shocks and eibach springs with a very mild drop, wheels fitted at the same time (and I changed the brake fluid at the same time but that was boring so no one wants to see that)

5. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

And apart from some service items such as new oil pump and sump, replaced various tired/missing/worn out stuff, that pretty much brings me up to date. Apart from one thing - had it in my head to try trace the original dealer and get some repro plates made, looked online and found that WV was registered to Brighton, and set about ordering some repro plates and dealer sticker from the only dealer in Brighton in 1989, they look great fitted but the issue is my car has never been near Brighton as in a moment of old age I thought that the first two letters of the end of the plate (WV) designated area of registration when in fact its last 2 (VV) making this a Northampton car still the plates and sticker look alright

20220113_100532.jpg 20220115_121446.jpg

6. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Plans for 2022 as they stand: order a new repro headliner from Ebay (anyone had any experience with headliner world) either have the drivers seat re foamed as its a bit flat or search out some Recaros as I've become pretty obsessed about finding a set lately, and other than that drive/maintain/enjoy it!

Anyone in and around West Yorks feel free to give me a shout as would be good to re connect with a few local meets and stuff!

Comments welcome

7. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Looks lovely, nice and original and that red GTi pin stripe really pops against the black :thumbup:

RichardDarrenB likes this.
  8. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers!

Reasonable wedge of paperwork with it and the previous owner who had it around 10 years spent a small fortune on 2 new sills, 4 jacking points, and loads of other stuff.

20220206_095645.jpg

I'm going to send a request for info from the DVLA as I can trace all but the 1st 3 owners through the paperwork so would be good to fill in the gaps.

9. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

This was my MK1 cab which I sold to buy the MK2.

It looks nice but was a 10ft car - as in looks great from 10ft away. Whoever painted it in the past must have used more masking tape than paint (people who use tape to mask up badges, aerials, and side repeaters should be beaten to death with thier own paint gun)

20210307_114303.jpg

10. stephen stanyer Forum Member

Car looks very tidy I have heard that the head linings from head liner world are good.

11. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Lovely mk2 and like the wheel upgrade and dealer stickers. Nice touch.
    I know what you mean about masking lines and agree they should be beaten - utter laziness and zero pride in their work *unless of course they had a customer who just wanted as cheap as possible but even then I circle back to zero pride in work and should reject the job.

12. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

I completely agree. Thankfully I paid peanuts for the MK1 and sold it for a tasty profit but the first time I popped the repeaters out and saw the original colour underneath I couldn't believe it. Surely it would take less time to pop things like that out rather than mask around... anyway I digress.

So here's why it handled like a ship at sea:

Screenshot_20220206-124204_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20220206-124214_WhatsApp.jpg

13. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

And here's the reason why the stereo sounded like it was being played through a cats arse (check out the speakers)

Screenshot_20220206-124155_WhatsApp.jpg

Bought a job lot of 80s tat on cassette from ebay, just because!

14. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Haha wow are they original shocks and bushes? Must be looking at them. Hugely satisfying replacing with new but I bet they put up a fight to get off with rusty bolts.

15. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

If not original they were certainly pretty aged. To be fair the whole lot came out with little fuss, mind you I have a blow torch impact gun and big breaker bar to help!

16. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I just got a shipment of 23 headliners from PD Klassiks in Poland, they are on FB. Really top notch.

17. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Hi, nice golf, and cassettes!
    I'm near Halifax if in the vicinity.

18. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Ah, small world, I live in the mighty Fax.

What do you drive? Will keep an eye out for you out and about.

19. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Bought to sell on? If to sell on talk to me, might be interested in a one for a 3door with sunroof.

20. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

Car looking tidy - interested to know how you get on with the headliner and what cloth / finish it has - last time I looked I couldn't find any with the 'proper' grey pattern. I'm in West Yorks but a few miles down the road in Leeds. We should organise a meet up at @dodgy 's place :hug: