4x108 front hubs into Scirocco upright?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Mk2daz, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

On a similar note to Gurds' post below I am trying to convert my mk2 scirocco to 4x108 PCD..

https://www.clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/engineering-challenge-5x112-hubs.223271/

I dont think there is enough meat on the scirocco hubs to redrill them to 4x108.

I've looked into older Audi 80 front hubs as they were 4x108 but I'm just not quite sure how I can get them to work. They use a totally different wheel bearing to the scirocco from what I have seen.

This is for a RWD conversion so i can match the PCD of my ford atlas axle at the rear. So I do not need to worry about driveshafts, my plan is just to stick in an outer CV joint from whatever hub i use to support the bearing :)

Thanks in advance.

2. Mk2daz

Just a quick thought with the Audi 80 hub idea...

A quick search for front wheel bearing size of Audi vs scirocco below

Audi 80
    inner 39
    outer 68
    width 37

Scirocco
    inner 34
    outer 64
    width 37

So would it be as simple as having my mk1/scirocco uprights bored to 68mm then using audi 80 hub and bearing? then i can just get a couple of audi outer CVs to support the bearing?

Not sure if the scirocco upright would have enough meat for an extra 2mm all round bored out, I'd have to check.

Just a passing thought...

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

If went to vr6 hubs, think epytec do 5x112 hubs now, I'll see if can find later, but they are obviously bigger pcd than 108.
    Bit of a random thought, the audi 50, was that 100 or 108 PCD? Probably 100 as polo based.
    Did manage 4x108 in marina hubs, 93.75 to start, but probably more meat on them.
    What about seeing a bearing with 64 outer, 39 inner, may not be that simple unfortunately.

4. dodgy

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

how wide is the rear axle, any scope for 4x108 -> 4x100 adaptors?

dodgy likes this.
  6. dodgy

Nice one RJ, could easily redrill halfshafts, even go vag rear disc set up too.
    Did volvo rear axle on an A35 years ago.

7. Mk2daz

Did get in touch with Epytec, they said i can send them my hubs for redrilling and they could weld more material (some kind of special process) if need be. It is quite expensive though and I'm sure there is a cheaper way to do it.

The Audi 50 was indeed 4x100 unfortunately.

Finding a bearing that is 64 outer 34 inner is near on impossible! I tried to find yesterday but i guess its just not a common size.

John, the axle casing is 52" wide from a capri laser, and that's minus the additional length of the halfshafts, discs and also the potential for the a fully floating style hub with longer group 4 studs. If possible I dont want to mess with the rear as there are so many new disc conversion kits etc available using the ford PCD. I think it would be easier and cheaper to adapt the front if I can.

[​IMG]Untitled by Daz Scirocco, on Flickr

Here's a picture of the scirocco hub, just not enough meat left for a simple redrill I don't think.

[​IMG]Untitled by Daz Scirocco, on Flickr

I have some wilwood 4 pots with custom carriers and some 300mm vented discs to work with the scirocco upright, so I'm going to try my best retain the scirocco upright if i can, and find a suitable hub combination to have 4x108 all round.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I was thinking adaptors to go on after the brakes so its all still ford, just depends if you had enough room under the arches at the back

you could look at mk2/3 hubs, you need track rod or ball joint spacers to correct the geometry and mk2 golf track rod ends. the mk3 5 stud hubs are slightly larger outer diameter than the 4 stud ones if you find the mk2 hubs still not quite big enough for 4x108. just depends if welding up and re-drilling a 5 stud hub is cheaper than the work required on a mk1 hub plus cost of all the extra parts :lol:

can get 4x100 -> 4x108 adaptors for the front, but again depends if you have the space under the arches with your chosen wheel

9. dodgy

Those bolt holes are pretty close to the outer rim of hub. Maybe if there's an engineering shop local, have a word with them see if they have any ideas, fresh eyes and all that.
    Retrofication did all sorts of bits for caddys and sure used to do 5x100 hubs, but unsure as few years ago.
    Could you machine a mk3 vr6 hub to fit your bearing? Hubs are cheap new.

10. dodgy

Can get a wheel bearing with 35mm internal diameter, could you then machine the A80 hub to fit, know it's only 1km larger , but it IS slightly larger.