52 plate vw bora 1.9TDI 130 bhp smoking issue with only 67k on clock

Discussion in 'Jetta/Vento/Bora' started by Alyn1974, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Alyn1974 Forum Member

Hi,

I bought a 52 plate bora 1.9TDI 130bhp with only 65k on clock, the bora now has 67k on the clock, however, it has started smoking a little whilst accelerating leaving any vehicle behind me in a cloud. The car is currently in the garage again after having a seized pulley replaced and the garage are saying they think it is the EGR valve as it appears to be staying open. My questions are, has anybody experienced anything similar and if so how much did it cost to fix. If I'm honest the car is a little lazy off the line, however, once she is going she is like a rocket.

Another issue is the car doesn't steer through corners, it rather rolls taking you off your driving line. I have been told this is the anti roll bars and this will cost 280, does this sound about right price wise.

Finally, would people recommend ploughing money into her as she has low mileage for the year or would it be best to sell and move on (very reluctantly).

Cheers
    Al

2. Alyn1974 Forum Member

Has anybody used Wynn's EGR cleaner as I have just been reading on various other forums and motor factor web sites and I read nothing but rave reviews and success stories with EGR issues etc.

3. Rooster

Rooster Paid Member Paid Member

I have an 03 Audi A3 with similar engine. When I first got it a year ago I replaced ARB bushes and front top mounts which was well worth the money. It also smoked under acceleration and made a sound like a dump valve. Tracked it down to a split boost pipe. Got it replaced with original part for 125 since when it has been faultless. Mine had 115k on the clock so I'd say worth sorting.

Alyn1974 likes this.
  4. Alyn1974 Forum Member

Cheers Rooster. I spent ages looking for a low mileage Golf or Bora and spent 2,500 due to low mileage etc but was gutted to learn the other day at expense the Bora is going to cost. Already paid 148 for seized pulley, will pay another 280 to get steering issue sorted out and maybe another 500ish if I need a new EGR valve which would include fitting, however, once these things are done I guess the car will serve me well for years to come given a decent service regime. ;)