7:45 lap in my Golf MK2 2.0 16VT at the Nurburgring last week

Discussion in 'The Video Forum' started by Nige, Oct 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLMvuVZHOGI
    [video=youtube;GLMvuVZHOGI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLMvuVZHOGI[/video]

A lap following a German 996 GT3. He`d followed me for a while, then we swapped over and I followed him.

Back in the carpark, he was as enthusiastic as I was about the lap. We both agreed it was great fun [:D][:D][:D]

After many requests, I`ve added a short intro with a Spec list of the car and a few photos showing what it looks like externally. My plan is to make a more comprehensive `This is the Golf` video at some time in the future.

ECU data is recorded to a phone via Bluetooth and MSDROID software.
    GPS data is logged with a Performance Box
    Cameras are all Mobius Actioncam B. I don`t think quality is bad for 45.

All the data is then put together using www.racerender.com

This was my quickest ever lap of the ring and was mid afternoon on Day 1, previous laps were 7:50, 7:48 then this 7:45.

On Day 2 I fitted Slicks, but unfortunately I never had a full clear lap. I had 2 laps that would have both been 7:37, but each had traffic so whilst I know the car will go that fast, I never did the full lap at that pace. Hey Ho. ;)

Got loads more laps to upload in my trip report, none quicker but many more entertaining. I figured whilst I enjoyed those a lot, this was probably the one people would be interested in ;)

2. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Personally I'd have been livid or embarrassed if somebody in an old Golf kept up with my GT3 lol

Nice lap though :thumbup:

3. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Awesome mate :thumbup:

4. Nige

Nah, he was cool about it. :thumbup:

5. twolitrepinto Forum Member

The way that speed goes up from 100mph to 140 is pretty bonkers!
    Video's never do it justice, it doesnt look or sound that fast but when you look at the speeds you are doing, and what you are keeping up with, well clearly it is!

representing mk2 golfs everywhere lol keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Nige likes this.
  6. Desertstorm

Desertstorm Paid Member Paid Member

Maximum respect Nige, that car is awesome and the fact that you have built it up to what it is yourself is quite amazing.You can pedal it as well.
    Everybody else on the track looks like they are out for a Sunday drive the speed differentials look quite scary at times. Around 6 minutes you came across a yellow Porsche that was wandering around a bit.

Nige likes this.
  7. Nige

Cheers mate.

Yeah that Porsche lifted THEN moved over, it`s why the Blue 996 darts right to avoid running into him :o

As I`m sure you can tell, I`m rather pleased with how the car performed :thumbup:

8. Natcholean Forum Member

Absolutely cracking. That sound is amazing Nige. Great effort. You must be quite used to the track now, you've been a fair few times it seems? the only lap of the Nordschleife I've done is in a Rover 216 Cabriolet tarted up to look like the Blue's Brothers with my copilot! It wasn't 7 minutes 45 though!! haha

Nige likes this.
  9. jshep73 Forum Member

10. Nige

Unfortunately, it`s not that simple ;)

The `industry` or `manufacturer` times are done differently. They time from near the old pits as the start, but the finish is about 5 seconds shorter than a full lap

It would add around another 20 seconds to my time using their start / finish.

Tourist laps are timed from Bridge To Gantry or `BTG` which is what this 7:45 lap is.

The Pace of the Golf was 7:5x if using the industry timing points, but I never went for a full flying lap purely to get a time. As I often say and some belive me some don`t, but times aren`t what it`s about. That lap wasn`t the quickest of my trip but it was the most enjoyable. [:D]

If I wanted to `set a time` I`d do it without passenger, a 1/4 tank of fuel and would drive differently. Heck, if I just wanted a time, I`d get a proper driver to set it lol Remember, those laps are set by professional drivers, not just a bloke who has done a couple of thousand laps, mostly during public lapping and a couple of hundred on trackdays ;)

11. blis Forum Member

Nige I hope you keep doing your thing. Watching this footage and seeing how on edge the Nurburgring can be, I was thinking I'd rather be sitting in Nige's car as a passenger than I would sitting in the GTR... I've lapped some crazy laps on the playstation but doing it for real, hmmm that's a different ballgame... yep, professional drivers too.

[video]https://youtu.be/-w33fZ7u_YU?t=3m11s[/video]

Awesome lap!