HOW TO: Set System & WUR fuel pressure

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by gti_kev, Jan 5, 2006.

1. gti_kev Forum Member

OK, to set your fuel pressure correctly, you will need a fuel pressure gauge with stop taps on it and a 6 mm metal drill bit and drill. - good place for the gauge setup is here -
    https://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=26&q=pressure+gauge

NOTE - This is not as accurate as having it set up by stealth or other professionals as you really need a rolling road to test it against as some cars may need slightly different pressures to find there best, but this is pretty accurate.

Also this the first draft, i will be adding more pics and info when i get them :)

Preparing the WUR

1) - First - disconnect the fuel unions going to the WUR (Warm Up Regulator), put an old towel below the WUR and use a small jug to catch any fuel, about a table spoon comes out!

2) - Then undo the WUR by the two allen key bolts, and remove!

3) - Then shake any excess fuel out of the WUR and leave upside down - fuel inlet and outlets down side on to a cloth to make sure all fuel is out, you can leave this for about half an hour to be sure.

4) - Then put the WUR on to a work bench and secure it, making sure the brass cap (back of the WUR) is facing upward. Then using your 6mm drill bit slowly drill into the centre of the brass cap, do this very slowly as it's not that thick, ideal you do not want to hit the hidden allen key on the other side.

5) - You should now see the allen key screw, make sure you can easily fit an allen key into it, but don't turn it yet! you can mark it with some tipex on the screw and the side of the WUR, as if it all goes wrong you know where it was to begin with.

6) - Re-attach the fuel lines to the WUR, but leave the WUR securing bolts off for now!

Fuel pressure gauge

1) - Connect the fuel pressure gauge up between the metering head supply to the WUR and the WUR line. Make sure all the connection are tight! and the shutoff valves are open.

2) - Now start the car (may take a few turns to get the fuel flowing again) and the pressure should start to rise on the gauge.

3) - Watch the the gauge rise, if your WUR is working it should steadily rise smoothly, no jumps! after about a minute/minute 20 secs it should stop rising - note the pressure.

4) - Now to see the system pressure - turn off the shut off valve closest to the WUR side. The pressure should rise further, once it has stop and the car is at full temp, this is your system pressure.

5) - Also check the fuel pump is getting the correct healthy supply of battery voltage! this can effect the system pressure!

Ideal system pressure is around 5 bar!

6) - If it is higher or lower you can adjust this by taking the shims out of the valve (see B below), I never needed to adjust mine, and i found it was impossible to get hold of different thickness shims, a scrap-yard would be your best bet.

A 0.5mm shim (depending on the spring condition) should give you .75 bar pressure increase.

A 0.1mm shim should give you about 0.15bar increase.

For shims M5 washers fit..if your desperate you can look through your spares for thick and thin ones....or sand em down to suit

7) - Now turn off the engine and keep an eye on the gauge, the pressure should not drop below 2 bar after 20 minutes, this indicates that your fuel accumulator is doing it's job and holding pressure.

8) - Once you have set the correct system pressure, re-open the shut off valve on the gauge, and the pressure will drop to give you the control pressure from the WUR, you are ideally looking for 3.4 bar (48psi).

9) - Now set the pressure by turning the allen key screw on the back of the WUR until you reach 3.4 bar.

10) - Now turn engine off and remove the gauge and tighten up all the connections.

11) - Then re-attach the WUR to the engine.

12) - As the control pressure has been changed, you now need to set the C0 (mixture) as this will be affected, follow this guide here - https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/124949/ or take it to an MOT testing station, chuck em a fiver and ask to put it on there gas machine and set it to 2% (red lead disconnected and breather pipe, air-box end removed and air-box blocked).

Job done :)

Credits:

Ade.Mk1 - for lending the gauge!
    Gareth83 - for talking me through the set up!
    Golden
    philip walker
    PaulM
    Stu

If i missed anyone just shout ;)

If anyone wants to add to this, just pm me and i'll add your bits or change anything! the more info we get in here the better for everyone!

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2018
  2. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

can I have a mention?? pleeeese ;)

3. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Good stuff, I recognise that gauge, helped sort my car out too! [:D]

4. gti_kev Forum Member

Just updated the credits :) anything i missed guyz?

5. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

don't think it was Ade.mk1 it was 150pdgti or something like that ;)

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Good thread mate, handy. :clap:

The link to my 16valvestall page will be dead, I need to get that page back on line. [:$]
    Edited by: GVK

7. gti_kev Forum Member

Gareth83 - he changed his user name :)

GVK - Thanks - oops, i never checked it! i can host the page if if you want?

8. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

make this a sticky ;)

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I can host it, it's just that I had that page hosted on BT but then stopped using the account, so all the stuff was lost ( including the pics ) [:^(]

I think the info is on here somewhere maybe in FAQs

10. gti_kev Forum Member

I see no worries! I'll go and have a look :)

11. gti_kev Forum Member

Would some kind mod stick this in the FAQ's please?

12. JUZ

JuZ Forum Member

This thread would be better if the pictures worked :(

13. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

piccies still dont work.

14. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

well it is a year and a half old lol

15. Tomo IOW Forum Member

thought id just add this with pics as ive just set mine,gotta do it again as ive replaced bits since then,

fuel pressure gauges { bosch-k-jet guages with all the right adapters}
    fuelpressuregauge.jpg

fit adapter to one side of the guage
    DSC00092.jpg

fit the other side of the guage { with no adapters} to the centre fuel metering head .
    DSC00093.jpg
    4.jpg

fit the adapter end to the fuel line u just took off,
    5.jpg

hang guage vertical, and purge trapped air,
    6.jpg 7.jpg

make sure gauge is open and start engine ,
    8.jpg

this is control pressure,
    9.jpg

close gauge,
    10.jpg

this is ur system pressure,
    11.jpg
    mines 5.5 bar as i already added shim, gonna take it out weekend back to 5 bar.

drill slowly,light pressure { thin metal} to reveal allen screw. { drilled slightly to the left so had to open out with snips}
    12.jpg 13.jpg

adjust make to 48psi
    14.jpg

realease fuel pressure,
    15.jpg
    unscrew gauge and re fit fuel lines.

as u adjusted pressure u need to set co back to 2% , i used the handy co machine
    16.jpg

16. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

17. Tomo IOW Forum Member

yep thats the ones, from the states, the only place that i could find any, sealey do a kit for just the gauges at 200 then u have to buy the cis k-jet adapters for another 150. ouch

took 29 days to get here due to email communication, had to pay a futher 20 for extra delivery, plus 27 for customs duty, and in that was 11 for the company over on the island who deliverd from mainland held it untill i payed the 27 , { as they payed the duty} in total came to bout 150 but worth it as i can now tune the car and do all the k-jet tests, found out that my residue pressure dropped major when turned off, { hence hot start probs}

18. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

just make your own kit for about 30

good write up by the way!!

19. judderi Forum Member

Care to elaborate gareth?

20. judderi Forum Member

Also what engines can you do this on. I have a mk2 Modified 9A 16v and my mate has a standard 1.8 8v K-jet. Can i do this mod on both using the same settings?