84 mk2 golf GL

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by saladman, Aug 2, 2022.

1. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

01 - arriving.JPG

I didn't need another project but I feel this is a safe space to share my addiction. I'm a fan of GLs and this being a pretty early car it was too tempting to ignore!

Seller had it in a barn for some time - tax disc is dated August 2008. Came without an engine but is pretty original / complete apart from the wheels.

Does anybody here know any history or previous owners?

This will be a slow burn long term thing due to very limited funds. I'm stripping it right back then will decide what to do. Maybe I'll even use it to learn how to weld. Certainly can't afford a professional paint job.

Couple of interesting things I noticed so far:

02 - windscreen centre engraving.JPG

Windscreen is engraved in centre at the bottom - not seen this before. My 87 GL has engraving in bottom right. Sadly the screen has chips and is beyond saving. All other glass is original.

03 - rear seatbelt audi vw.JPG

Rear seatbelts are marked with VW and Audi logos

04 - front brakes.JPG

A previous owner had converted to mk3 setup up front. Nice big brakes! Rears also running discs. Is this 'widetracked'?

05 - rear seat wire.JPG

Rear seat is a 60/40 split version. This wire is on the bottom of the smaller half - presumably some kind of retention strap?

06 - driver sunvisor w flap.JPG 07 - driver sunvisor w flap open.JPG

Driver side sun visor has a mirror with flap held up with a magnet.

08 - label under glovebox.JPG

Favourite find so far - looks to be some factory label of some sort - found under the glovebox area of the dash.

I'm dumping more photos as I go here for anybody interested.

2. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

Cool touch with the vanity mirror cover.

As for the windscreen etching, I remember back in the day you could buy DIY kits, with a little plastic alpha-numeric stencil and a diamond-tipped stylus type thing (you could also get chemical etching stuff, but not sure that was so easily purchased as a DIY kit). So whether it was done by a previous owner, or a professional offering the service it potentially could have been located anywhere, normally it's bottom left or right simply because that's easiest to reach, without stretching across the bonnet, but whoever did this must have been a little more OCD so placed it centrally. I did the same to my first car, a 1977 Triumph TR7 I bought in 1990 and felt the need to put it in the middle.

saladman likes this.
  3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Nice, shame I just scrapped that engine I had out of mine, typical.
    Nice to see the different bits in it.

So is it a mk3 frame in front complete or just the suspension/rack?

saladman likes this.
  4. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Nice to see another early and very original car being saved. GL's were rare enough at the best of times.

saladman likes this.
  5. saladman

Not an expert but seems to have facility for PAS - can you tell from these photos?

10 - engine bay A.JPG

11 - engine bay B.JPG

12 - engine mount.JPG

Didn't you flog that engine on eBay for £50 or something? Fortunately I have a couple of engines in the hoard stock - an 8v from a B3 passat with approx 35k miles on it and an 8v digifant from mk2 gti with 160k ish miles that probably needs a good going over before installing. A long way off putting this back together so not worrying too much about that yet [:D]

You may notice that the steering rack is not connected - spline is different - after some research I think I need a link bar from a mk3 - the bit with a UJ at either end - have had a scan on eBay but not seen anything promising.

Can also see that somebody has chopped the driveshafts - presumably so they could keep it rolling without killing the bearings and having driveshafts flopping about all over the place.

6. saladman

Cool to hear about DIY etching - hadn't heard of that before!

7. dodgy

@saladman that's a mk3 subframe, so rear engine mount bracket is different to a mk2, may have a 4cyl bracket here if you need one, but I'd have to check, or I can grabb one next week buddy.

What engine are you planning on putting in it?

Sorry, just read more, do you want me to try for a uj off a mk3? There's a couple I know of, or if need it for moving, you can borrow the one I've stashed for mine.

saladman likes this.
  8. saladman

@dodgy yes please to finding a UJ link if you can find one! No rush at all. For moving around I just manually turn the wheels before pushing - and worst case I've got dollies for more choreographed movements. Surprising how light the car is without an engine and most of the interior!

Not decided what engine yet - want to get the shell de-rusted and fixed up first. You're still due a visit here for a cuppa when time allows [:D]

dodgy likes this.
  9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah thats a pas rack, probably MK3 to go with the rest so you need a MK3 PAS UJ. MK2 PAS UJ boot is still required though, plus the rubber doughnut it clips to that sits around the UJ housing.

plus as said you need the right rear bracket from a MK3 it needs to match both the engine and the gearbox. the front bracket needs to be mk2 matched to gearbox

saladman likes this.
  10. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

saladman likes this.
  11. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Gratuitous 205 content...

etch.jpg

saladman likes this.
  12. dodgy

Uj is on.my list for next week, should be able to sort, and definitely have to come over and I'll bring biscuits

saladman likes this.
  13. saladman

13 - petrol tank strap rust.JPG

Made a bit more progress with the stripping. Petrol tank straps came off... rather easily but I'm now stuck on the two bolts that I think hold the tank up near the filler neck. They look like they used to be 10mm but in quite a sorry state. Have progressed to cold chisel and lump hammer but not a lot of room to swing in there. Any ideas? Don't really fancy putting a grinder anywhere near the tank.

14 - petrol tank bolt 01.JPG 15 - petrol tank bolt 02.JPG

Had some fun with the door trim rubbers - noticed that the ones on the 84 GL are different to my 87 GL, and ones from an 87 CL:

84 GL:
    17 - 84 gl door trim.JPG

87 GL:
    18 - 87 GL door trim.JPG

87 CL:
    19 - 87 CL door trim.JPG

I know that some later cars have flatter / wider trims but hadn't spotted the above differences before.

Interior is looking pretty bare now the dash, steering column and pedals are out. Noticed some black paint around bottom of the windscreen / dash area - not sure if this is factory or not but I don't think the screen had been replaced.

16 - windscreen black paint.JPG

21 - cabin without dash steering pedals.JPG

Also the silver trim part that fits into the groove in windscreen rubber is incredibly fragile. Managed to crack a little bit off when removing, will think about how to solve that in the distant future ;)

22 - cover on car.JPG

Spent £30 on a generic car cover to keep the rain off - seems to be working so far

20 - bright green cable clips.JPG

Lastly I also enjoyed these bright green clips holding some of the wiring loom under the dash!

Zender Z20 likes this.
  14. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Had the same black paint on the inside of the lower screen on my '92, though it does look to be put on by a brush / hand (and probably was) but seemed factory to my eye.

AndyBa and saladman like this.
  15. saladman

22 - crusty petrol tank screw.JPG

Finally got the tank out this evening - one bolt with vise / mole grips and the other with some gentle encouragement after I realised how corroded the mount was.

23 - crusty petrol tank neck mount.JPG

Somebody has written what looks like 'NO ENDE' in chalk or something on the top of the petrol tank. Pretty sure the tank hasn't been removed before - so must be from the factory? Perhaps a tired and stressed out worker? Any ideas?

28 - petrol tank graf NO ENDE.JPG

Also removed the exhaust heatshield and while lying peacefully on the floor noticed the front subframe seems to be either missing a bolt - not sure if this is normal when a mk3 frame is installed? There's a pretty big gap between the frame and the floorpan - is it a bodge, should there be a bushing there, any advice? Frame is pretty crusty so will be coming off and getting blasted.

24 - front subframe not bolted on maybe.JPG

Talking of crusty - the rear (is it a subframe?) assembly is also fairly grotty and will also be coming off:

25 - crusty rear subframe.JPG

Not sure if this is a mk3 item?

Started stripping the boot lid and noticed that there is a small plastic piece on the left side which I think is to press on a switch to trigger 'boot open' / turn boot light on. But there's no switch or light. Also note the black foam stuck on inside of lid that keeps the parcel shelf from rattling about - I seem to remember a thread a while back with people comparing this from different years of mk2s.

26 - boot lid switch pad and foam.JPG

Managed to remove the rear callipers before it got dark. Looks like it says 3B or 38, and 7134. Will also need blasting and refurb. Thinking of getting them powder coated in a snazzy colour. Decisions decisions!

27 - rear caliper.JPG

16. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

The rear part of the front subframe is standard on a mk3 where it bolts to the chassis rails, mk2 's never had the extra bolt.

saladman likes this.
  17. H8V

h8v Forum Member

"Noticed some black paint around bottom of the windscreen / dash area - not sure if this is factory or not but I don't think the screen had been replaced."

Yes, I'm sure that's factory. I think it's so body coloured paint won't be seen from in the car Easier to brush on a bit of black than have to manufacture a plastic trim piece!

saladman likes this.
  18. saladman

Front brake callipers now off:

29 - front brake calliper.JPG

Noticed the paint on tunnel is super flaky and coming away from the metal. Really don't want to get the entire shell blasted to avoid removing the factory wax / sealant and would rather treat / repair where needed.

30 - flaky apint on tunnel.JPG

31 - flaky rusty paint near handbrake cables.JPG

Removed the slam panel and cross members. All fairly crusty. Much easier to get into the engine bay now :)

32 - crusty front parts.JPG

33 - front leg rust.JPG

34 - front without slam panel.JPG

afbiker02, valvemiester and dodgy like this.
  19. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

20. dodgy

Friday adventure for the sake of helping @saladman , scrapyard run and hunted this down... 20220826_132219.jpg 20220826_132230.jpg

Mk3 tdi, buried in the brambles, remember only eat the blackberries above waist height!
    20220826_132213.jpg
    Mother nature was even trying to reclaim the interior

20220826_133510.jpg
    Managed to hack the foliage to gain access to the engine bay, slice the boot and relieved it of the universal joint, and the remaining rear engine mount (I had the other 2 from it for another project about 18 months ago) without squashing any fingers.

20220826_133456.jpg

There ya go, more parts that will help keep our cars going, a few scratches and a nice sunny time with nature, definitely earned biscuits I reckon.

Zender Z20, AKAeddypeck and afbiker02 like this.