87 mk2 gti rear wiper works with lights on

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by lovehonourobey, Sep 9, 2017.

1. lovehonourobey New Member

I am struggling with this. When I turn my lights on the rear wiper is constantly running have replaced the fuseboard pulled the relay and the fuse but I can't stop it. Without the lights on the rear wiper doesn't work but the front wipers work fine... if I turn the front wipers on while the lights are on I have a power drain that slows them down ... any advice would be welcome

2. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hello,

I'd suspect the wiring for the tailgate, inside the rubber trunking between the body and t/gate. Maybe the wire for the number plate lights is shorting to one of the wires for the wiper motor.

3. lovehonourobey New Member

Hiya Dougie... thanks for your reply, and for the logic I've probably spent ages fanying around in the area ????

4. lovehonourobey New Member

Found s break in two wires inside the rubber boot in the rear hatch repaired these and have sorted the rear wiper issue... but now have more problems .
    The side lights work but not the headlights, and when the lights are turned on wipers and blower stop.????

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

wiggle relay 17/18 in the fusebox with the lights and wipers turned on, see fi that does anything. I suspect though the ignition switch or the wiring from it, look at the black/yellow wires on pin X. this pin should see 12v ignition on but not cranking, it sounds like it can only supply a low voltage which is enough to trigger the X relay 17/18 but not enough for the lights

6. lovehonourobey New Member

Hello rubjonney, thanks for the response I'll have a look today really appreciate the help... clueless ain't I

7. lovehonourobey New Member

Changed the ignition switch, getting 12.5v at the black and yellow wire at the switch but still no wipers with the lights switched on.. contemplating setting fire to it now

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

dos the heater blower motor work ok with the lights on?

9. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

My heater blower motor also doesn't work with my lights on. Did you get to the bottom of this?