'89 Golf Mk2 TDi Build Thread

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by DN5, Apr 11, 2016.

1. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

Nope! Jesus haha it will happen soon!

Just to clarify though, the only thing I have done is remove ign live (that i fed in) from pin 66.

Stalk black wire always went to pin 66
    Stalk white wire was always ign live fed from pin 1 of the 4 Pin cruise plug.

Should I try sending white wire to pin 66 and making black wire ign live? Remember I think this is an early ce1 mk2 stalk

Edit - I have tried switching black and white wires and nothing...same results on vcds but no cruise on road test. Maybe pin 58 is needed!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  2. m1keh Forum Member

I think you need ign live on pin 66 and pin 58 fed ign live...

3. DN5

I'm currently in the process of wiring pin 58 but was going to send it to white wire.

If I ign live pin 66 then both white and black wire will be live

4. DN5

ITS ALIVE!

Wire fed from pin 58 to the white wire which is ignition live.

Black wire not ignition live.

Tried a few combinations and this is what works :)

Also adjusted and saved idle so that's all sorted. Tdi timing slightly advanced so happy with that.

Thanks so much for the help, would have been well and truly stumped on my own!

Now just need to find a suitable female pin for ecu connector and make it a permanent feature :thumbup:

5. m1keh Forum Member

Got there in the end, strange how 58 was missing!

I’m fairly sure that pole volt connector I sent the link for is correct for the ecu plug!

6. DN5

I ordered a handful of these. I have a box of spare loom stuff but I'm not going to try removing a contact when these are available.

58 was plugged with the little grommet too so not like it's been ripped out, it was never part of the loom...

Thanks buddy!

7. DN5

So I'm still plagued with this soft brake pedal and as I'm looking to get tuned soon, thought this should be top of the list of things to do now.

I clamped both front hoses and the pedal was LOADS better underfoot. I found that the offside front carrier has a small rusty hole in the section where the slider pin inserts, stopping the pin moving freely. This mixed with the calipers being OLD made me hunt for a more updated setup.

Found a pricey but fully rebuilt set of G60 calipers & carriers and braided front hoses.

Fingers crossed that this is the end of my spongy woes as they have been power bled till no air exists in the lines.

8. DN5

New calipers, carriers and braided hoses all hooked on up front but the one way valve I was using has given up so need to get the power bleeder on it and HOPEFULLY that will be the end of my spongy brakes [:^:]

Would sticky calipers contribute towards a crap pedal?
    Either way I can't be doing any harm replacing for fresh stuff :thumbup:

9. DN5

20180901_082027.jpg

All hooked up and bled correctly. Quick test on the driveway and they feel spot on [:D]
    Once the seats are back from the leather people I'll be able to road test. Really pleased even though the calipers cost an arm and a leg!

10. DN5

Still waiting on the seats to come back but in the meantime I've started to glue the headlining where it's drooping around the sunroof. Spray adhesive and a shortened broom to wedge in and apply pressure is so far working a treat. Nearly at the end of this project!

11. DN5

Blown away with the seat refurb
    20180706_092158.jpg 20180706_092543.jpg IMG-20180918-WA0007.jpeg IMG-20180918-WA0009.jpeg
    Some may prefer to have a full recover but so glad I've kept some of the original character and had them repaired and dyed back to original :)

12. DN5

Hi there!
    Can anyone advise at what rpm the pd150 turbo should start to spool?

Just about to have the motor tuned and wanted to make sure all is as it should be beforehand :)

Thanks.

*Got looking online and best way to cross this off the list is with a vcds log - job for tomorrow:thumbup:*

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  13. DN5

Done a couple of graphs on vcds to show how the car is boosting. Not looking good [:[]
    Under boosting all the way up to 3400rpm ish then over boosting.

Can anyone tell me if this is just a case of tweaking the turbo actuator? I think it is just that...

The right hand side is just mbar -
    green = requested
    yellow = actual
    Red = rpm
    White = duty cycle
    20181206_113451.jpg

@m1keh you seem to have a wealth of knowledge in this sector!

14. m1keh Forum Member

I think you’ve had a new actuator at darkside Since you posted this! Sorry I didn’t see it.

But yes it definitely should have been spooling sooner than that, which gear were your logs in?

15. DN5

It is in at Darkside now having some tuning done and injectors etc.
    They have removed the turbo and sent it away for flow test as the stop screw had moved...

This was in 3rd on the left graph and 4th on the right graph.

How did you know the car was at darkside? Haha

16. m1keh Forum Member

I knew Ryan from tdiclub before darkside even really started and follow him on instagram where I saw your car!

17. DN5

Oh ok! What's his Instagram and I'll have a gander :thumbup:

18. m1keh Forum Member

19. DN5

In the end they put a vibra-technics rear engine mount on for more actuator clearance, sent the turbo for flow testing to ensure the actuator was working when it should, .280 nozzles, rewired the map sensor and air intake sensor into a new unit fixed to the ic piping, sorted egr software, new g60 silent clutch kit.

Happy with the first dyno... D6 AKR Mk2 AHU PD150 3Bar 185hp 305lbs.jpg
    Should keep me entertained for a good while then try and push it some more [:D]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  20. m1keh Forum Member

That looks like a good healthy torque curve now. Must feel fast in a mk2 with all that volume under the curve.