'89 Mk2 Golf GTI 8v -> ABF -> VR6 -> VR6 Turbo

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by rye1991, Jun 12, 2013.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

good progress :thumbup:

2. liamgolfmk2 New Member

Loving the progress on this! Very inspiring!!

3. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Tis a very good topic ;)

4. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the comments guys.

[​IMG]
    Removed the dash and steering column. Fitted a CE2 column, ignition and stalks from a G60 (Came with the cool pill key too).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The ignition loom that came with the engine was hacked up with an old alarm bodged in.

[​IMG]
    Bottom piece is a nice uncut igntion loom I got from the breakers for 2. It was so satisfying to replace thats birds.

[​IMG]
    I took my time to remove everything I don't need from the looms: Aircon, heated mirrors, electric windows, head unit etc.

[​IMG]
    I loosly mocked up the engine harness.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a...1-D5E1-47E6-ABEB-9D79DED5D550_zps0xnlsn1b.mp4
    It caught on the second turn of the key. So happy! Nothing ever works first time for me haha. The immobiliser kicked which is why it died.

I haven't soldered a single wire yet. Im hoping to route the loom so that any wire extending is kept to an absolute minimum. I may run the engine loom through the rain tray and may a hole inline with the main harness connector.

I am loving CE2 wiring so far, I wish I upgraded to it years ago. Its so neat and modular.

Parts left to obtain if anyone can help:

Steering UJ that will work with my Corrado PAS rack
    CE2 Mk2 GTI Cluster
    CE2 MK2 Front Lighting Loom
    CE2 MK2 Rear Lighting Loom
    Clutch Cable
    Corrado VR6 throttle cable
    32mm inline filler neck
    ECU decode
    Aluminium corrado radiator with slim fans
    gearbox/ clutch cable bracket bolts x2

5. rubjonny

1. mk3 golf will do you, if its the later corrado rack which doesnt take a mk2 UJ
    2. id use a pre-96 mk3 golf one and modify the slam panel part to suit, nicer thinwall insulation cables, all the wires are sealed so wont be corroded to buggery like mk2, plus easier to get
    3. as above, use a mk3 rear loom and mod it to suit. any year will do just has to be petrol engine obv ;)
    4. hydro clutch line I take it you mean ;)
    5. tricky! I take it your pedal box doesnt take a mk2 cable?

6. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

1. I bought a Mk3 UJ and it didn't have the right number of teeth on the rack end, I think I need an early corrado/mk2 one maybe?
    2. That makes sense really as its already wrapped into the engine harness, I just need to find the post slam panel connector bit of loom to modify to fit my mk2 lights.
    3. I might even have a mk3 rear loom somewhere, is it easy to splice on the mk2 connectors? same colours etc?
    4. I coped out and went for a cable actuator conversion, I will probably do a hydro conversion at some point though lol
    5. I have a standard mk2 pedal box and 8v throttle cable but its too short for the VR. Any other Mk2 cables that might work?

7. rubjonny

1. yeah or the UJ you got was very early mk3 which is same spline as mk2 :lol:
    3. yeah the wire colours are the samer, are some extras for things you wont have which can go. the mk2 rear light plugs differ so those need swapping over, plus the mk3 loom is funny in that both sides go to the passenger side, then theres a loom from passenger light to drivers light. could go for a mk2 rear loom instead, up to you :)
    4. ah ok, use the SEAT toledo TDI cable for that still available and cheap from SEAT dealers, part number 1L0721335C
    5. could try a mk2 carb one, though it will prob be a bit too long. corrado vr cable be a right sod to find I expect. part number for the early one is 536721555A, and not seeing any sources online :(

8. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the reply John, after looking at a few pics on Google I think I need a Mk2 UJ. Second time lucky lol. Cheers for the part number ill get that ordered. It might be a hunt at the scrapper for a few long cables then and see what works.

[​IMG]
    I bought one of those 20 immobiliser bypass chips from ebay. I wanted a neat plug and play solution so i've soldered it directly to the connector of a cheap VagCom cable.

[​IMG]
    Fits neatly inside the connector and took all of 10 minutes to assemble.

The immobiliser bypass worked first time, great for 20 just hope it lasts. If it plays up at all I will just get the ECU decoded properly.

[​IMG]
    At first it was running like the HT leads were mixed up. Popping through the air filter and running on a 3/4 cylinders. I took the lid off the check the the timing and to make sure everything looked ok which it did. Re-assembled and tried again, it was now fine! It was a vaccum leak of all things!

It now runs real nice and sounds lovely. I might change the exhaust though as the Jetex system is a bit quiet for a VR6.

Sirguydo likes this.
  9. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Nice progress dude ;)

10. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers mate.

Mini update while im waiting for parts to arrive.

[​IMG]
    Learnt my lesson, don't buy a reproduction thermostat housing. Leaks like a sieve!
    All new seals and bolts etc, the seal against the block was the only bit that didn't leak.

[​IMG]
    Even one of the temp sensors leaks with new O rings!

[​IMG]
    I decided to bodge it back together with some Dirko sealant. Eventually I will pick up some genuine parts or a Eurowise cast alloy housing.

11. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Great thread dude! Am contemplating a 24v VR6 conversion in my Mk2 8v so some handy hints found here. keep up the great work :thumbup:

12. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

Progress has been slow but steady.

[​IMG]
    I wanted to keep my 160mph CE1 clocks so with the help of Rubjonny, I made an adapter loom.

[​IMG]
    All done. Every function works perfectly.

[​IMG]
    UJ fitted, added some heat resistant tape as the exhaust is quite close.

[​IMG]
    I decided to ditch the top fill adapter and run a propper header tank with a decent capacity. I picked this one up cheap and had a few bits welded on.

[​IMG]
    All done, ready to fit. Im going to mount it to the wiring harness bracket.

13. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

I haven't updated in a while, do people still use forums?

Anyway, the VR6 swap is done, MOT passed and lots of fun has been had in it. I will now just dump a load of pictures in no particular order.

[​IMG]
    Quick tip, use cable ties to compress the spring that goes on the end of the steering column while fitting.

[​IMG]
    Swapped speed sensor for Golf 1.3 speedo cable, straight fit.

[​IMG]
    Clutch cable bracket.

[​IMG]
    Rad and fans.

[​IMG]
    Roose motorsport hose kit.

[​IMG]
    Clutch cable done.

[​IMG]
    Fans wired up, Mk2 golf style.

[​IMG]
    Fitted.

[​IMG]
    Vagcom port, fan blower and cigar lighter loom.

[​IMG]
    PCV broke.

[​IMG]
    blocked off with a chunk of broomstick for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MOT failed on emissions, it was running very rich. Swapped MAF and it passed second time.

[​IMG]
    Interior needs a clean but it's gradually looking better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Vacuum feed for the FPR was loose so I tapped it out to M6 and threaded a barbed adapter in.

[​IMG]
    The Jetex was a tad too quiet for a VR6 so it was time for a new exhaust.

[​IMG]
    Went for a 3" Trackslag system with twin tips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I think it's safe to say it's not restrictive!

[​IMG]
    Trackslag hanger vs my homemade one.

[​IMG]
    Fitted like a glove.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It's close but doesn't knock (It was jacked up here, sits higher when level).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Decided to tidy up the way my tucked loom enters the cabin. This is two aluminium rings with some holes tapped in the lower ring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Much neater. I forgot to take pics of the plastic cable gland and loom fitted, will do this next time.

[​IMG]
    Another reason i've gone for a 3" system is because im going to do a turbo conversion at some point. I've got a Holset HX35 (16cm exhaust side) ready to fit and a spare one to rebuild later.

[​IMG]
    My collection of turbo parts so far. I won't be doing the conversion for a while though as im still collecting parts as funds allow. Before I do this I want to get the car resprayed, rebuild my BBS RS, fit G60 arches and do some work to the interior.

Thanks for looking.

Toyotec and Break like this.
  14. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

[video]http://vid10.photobucket.com/albums/a137/ryanggg/Mk2%20Golf%20GTI/vr6_zpssezu28pq.mp4[/video]
    Quick clip of the Trackslag system.

15. Nicko Forum Member

16. Break Forum Member

Really cool, looks well done.

nice holset drop at the end

17. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

That Sounds sweet! :thumbup:

18. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Great work, just read from start to finish :thumbup:

19. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the kind words.

[​IMG]
    Flushed all the fluids again.

[​IMG]
    Fitted front fogs.

[​IMG]
    Sump guard seems to be doing its job well.

[​IMG]
    Quick budget respray on the rear bumper.

[​IMG]
    Not the best but it's better than driving around with a white rear bumper. The car will get a full pro respray in the next couple of years.

[​IMG]
    Made a bracket to hold the catch can.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Catch can plumbed in. Its only a temporary job. I have an alloy valve cover to weld -AN fittings onto when I start the turbo conversion. Also trying out a BMC CDA airbox, so far so good. No more heatsoak!

[​IMG]
    I used a brushed alloy effect sticker to re-finish the rear badge. Bought it ages ago on ebay, looks decent.

Currently just enjoying the Mk2 really, whilst doing small tidy-up jobs. Next big step will be the turbo swap, im still collecting parts at the moment.

20. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Following. Looking forward to when you have it boosted!

Savagesam likes this.