8v 2l bottom ends/cranks

Discussion in 'Engines' started by thegeo, Apr 22, 2005.

1. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

i read the FAQ on 2 litre conversions.
    Nice job, however I have one little question.
    the FAQ suggests that the big ends are a weak point and i was wondering if the 2E, AGG, ABA, 3a, AWG and AWF engines all used the same crank / big ends or are there varieties with bigger journals?
    Are they really that weak or is it that the 2l engines display Fordy type levels of reliability instead of what we have come to expect?

I know a man who is after a few german forged 2l cranks. Are all of the cranks for euro spec cars german and forged or are some of them mexican/brazilin and/or cast?

2. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

All the big ends are the same from what I remember.
    Can't see them being any weaker than others to be honest. The cranks are well counter weighted and balanced from the factory. Only if the engine hasn't been looked after you may have problems and spin a bearing on a well worn engine.

3. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

that figures I guess.

anyone got any idea if the 2l cranks are all forged over here in old europe?

I have an aquaintance in montreal who finds them a bit thin on the ground over there! Most of them seem to be mexican cast items and they appear to be less robust. A lot of the canadian rally boys use 2l golf 2s and 3s in 8v or 16v format so there is a demand for decent cranks.

I am about to move over there and might be able to get some serious discount on some engineering work if i rock up with say 6 german forged items!