8v exhaust manifold differences help needed!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Nick Evans, May 5, 2020.

1. Nick Evans New Member

Okay so on my mk2 1.6 I’m looking to replace the stock manifold, the horrible C clip collector one to a 4-2-1 stainless manifold, the fitment looks the same but please educate me if I'm wrong, but are the 1.6 and 1.8 exhaust manifolds both the same fitment to the head? Can only seem to find 4 branch manifolds for a 1.8 not a 1.6, but of course If it fits then I'll more than likely buy it. Will it also clear the stock inlet manifold above? Running a Weber 32/34 dmtl

cheers in advance!

2. davidut5 Forum Member

Yes 1.6 and 1.8 are the same, i have fitted on my 1.6 ez a mk3 2.0 manifold and downpipe. Now i have a mk4 1.6 4-2-1 stainless header. They fit ok over generations.
    The mk3 exhaust manifold had no problem with the carb intake, i guess no problem with header too.

3. Nick Evans New Member

Cheers for the reply!
    Do you have any pics at all of your setup? I sorry when you say mk4, as in an actual mk4 golf or did you mean to say mk3? I’ll have a look on fleebay now, cheers

4. davidut5 Forum Member

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you'll need a reducer to fit your exhaust, or replace the lot with 1.8 8v carb/gti stuff as 1.6 is smaller diameter