8V GTI Air Housing

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by costel1969, Apr 14, 2019.

1. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Folks,
    Based on ETKA and indeed my own gut feelings - why would anyone attempt to put a pipe into the inlet side of the air intake unit when it's supposed to be open - there is a pipe on the warm air (outlet) end which makes sense - please see photo attached. I got my buddy to drive it and he said there's an occasional bit of hesitation which in my mind would make sense if air volume at inlet is getting restricted compliments of the pipe - I will attach a pic if I can.

Cheers
    Robert

Attached Files:

2. Joehough

Joehough Paid Member Paid Member

Do you mean that bit at the top of pic coming out of front of filter housing? I wouldn't have thought that would make any difference if it is that diameter all the way to the the end, probably someone's idea of getting cooler air in.

3. costel1969

Yes Joe, it's that corrugated type hose at the front - on ETKA on the exploded diagram there is no hose but on mine as you can see there's been a bit of engineering, might have nothing to do with that hesitation but might as well start with the obvious stuff and it will get a comprehensive service when I get my hands on it. I've uploaded the pic from ETKA just to show what I'm on about

Attached Files:

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Looks like the pipe has been add to direct more cool air into the air box that shouldn't be the source of the hesitation. More likely issues with the digifant setup, have you serviced it recently? Check for vacuum leaks etc?

5. Joehough

Joehough Paid Member Paid Member

Pull it off and see if it makes a difference

6. costel1969

Consider it gone - I will check all other hoses as well in case there's an issue there, coupled with rotor, distributor cap and timing and digifant if it comes to it but I really hope it's not that