8v PB not starting!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Ash1ey, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Ash1ey New Member

Afternoon all, i have a 1800 8v PB engine which doesnt start all the time, if i get in and crank it over it will spin over, after doing the for 4/5 minutes it will fire up and run fine, drive it or leave it running for 5/10 minutes, turn it off and it starts straight away, i can hear the fuel pump working in the back of the car. Im begining to think that the lift pump might not be deliverying enough fuel? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ash

2. jamesa Forum Junkie

3. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

The lift pump should deliver 300cc in 10 seconds you will need to short the bigger blades on the fuel pump relay with wire or you can use another relay from the panel which escapes me atm.

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Takes only a couple of minutes to pull out the lift pump to check it. In the boot, slightly to the right of centre under the round black lid that's held down with 3 Philips head screws.

5. Nightroamer Forum Member

Quick check also would be does it fire with easy start. If you spray a little in the intake and it fires on that then quite likely a fuel issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

disconnect the main pump first then listen for the lifter pump priming. if it is working check delivery volume as above

7. Ash1ey New Member

Only just got round to checking all this, I pulled the fuel supply off and put it into a bottle and as soon as I turn the ignition on I get fuel into the bottle and you can hear the pump in the back priming. When people say to check the volume will I be ok to do that by measuring the fuel from the pipe in the engine bay or do I have to disconnect the pump? Cheers

Ash

8. rubjonny

if you get fuel out while the ignition is on and not cranking then your ecu is blown I'm afraid. usual cause for this is poor earth to the gearbox, make sure its all clean and tight.

early mk2 earth to a stud on the upper gearbox bracket which isnt a very good point as corrosion builds between the box and bracket. later mk2 and mk3 golf moved the earth point to a stud on one of the upper bolts holding the gearbox on, which is much better. Upgrade to this style if you have the early earth point, I use mk3 golf battery cables in my project cars as well as they're chunkier and have really nice battery terminals

9. Ash1ey New Member

When I crank I get fuel and eventually the car will start, it just cranks over for a long time before actually starting, I got it going last night and went for a drive and it runs and farts fine once its started
    Cheers

Ash

10. Finite

Long may the flatulence continue lol

This could be a fuel pressure issue. I would still check the lift pump delivery all you need is a bit of 7>8mm hose. If all is good then ideally you'd want a pressure gauge on the fuel rail to check the holding pressure.

11. Ash1ey New Member

Is there a guide anywhere to
    Checking the lift pump? Ive only ever piped the fuel line to the rail off and check I was getting fuel there.
    Cheers

Ash

12. rubjonny

ignore what I said earlier, I thought you meant you had the injectors out in a container, not the fuel supply pipe :lol:

so yes for lifter pump test swap the 18 relay into fuel relay slot which is 2 for CE1, 12 for CE2. Then pull the feed line off the lifter and run a pipe from it to a container. switch ignition on for 10 seconds, and you should have at least 300cc of fuel

13. Finite

I bought a cheap glass measuring jug for this. Its less likely to get tainted and can be used for similar jobs.