'90 2l 16v(ABF) mk2 (restoration page9, going megasquirt), mk5 ed30

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by beetie, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

Erm... they could take a lot more off of that. Looks like they've done a lot of machining on the front, but left the skirt on it (between the starter ring gear and the end of the block). The two flywheels I've had from a certain rapid welshman have had most of that removed.

I guess Chesman's are playing it safe - keeps some of the driveability.

Car's looking good though! Had it on a rolling road yet?

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

I see your car everyday on the way to work!! although i thought i hadnt seen it on the road for a few weeks. it actually ****es me off a i wish my car was finished, and i wasnt driving and auto.

who did the paint?? could do with getting the white one painted when im finished!!

3. beetie

beetie Forum Member

drunkenalan: apparently the guy who did the paint no longer does it anymore. a place with a good rep around leicester is c.j tallis. they are on nutts lane industrial estate in hinckley off the A5

the car wasn't at mine for quite a while. but it's paked on the driveway now waiting for the MOT to come around. you sure it's mine you see.

Mike as for the flywheel they said that they removed as much as they dared to(playing safe). still removed a hell of a lot though

and not roling roaded yet as it is nowhere near run in. only done 7miles, but as soon as it's run in it will be going straight down to stealth

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

G...SAV I work in whetstone, for alstec, and drive thro cosby, as i live in Sapcote, is your other car a 200sx? My car was a white GTI with in pro jetta front end.

5. beetie

beetie Forum Member

yeah it is my other car. think i probably have seen your car drive by.

6. beetie

beetie Forum Member

the car passed the MOT today so i've now got to pile on the miles.

i've worked out that in order to do the 2000miles of running in, before the ring trip, i have to do 35miles everyday[:^(] preferably town driving.

also noticed that the water light still flashes a few times every now and again when sitting in traffic.[:s] (temp gauge at 3/4 mark-oil at 116 on MFA)

i've ordered another tank but any other suggetstions?

already had on rebuild: thermostat, pump is working, fan does kick in(atleast on the slow speed)

could it be due to a weak mixture of coolant/water, or would that show up before the temp shoots up??

it best not be the heads f$%ed, after spending all the money on getting it P&P[:x]

7. swaffGTI Forum Member

Its prob just the sender or wiring for the level sensor.

I thought there were alternate methods to running an engine in, this website explains all.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Im thinking this type of method may be better than town driving, I could also be exceptionally wrong on this matter.

8. beetie

beetie Forum Member

yeah there are different ideas about running it in. but i am doing it the way the guy who machined my parts said. gives me some come back then, if it go's tits up

hope it is the sender. (as said i've ordered one (the tank one))

9. swaffGTI Forum Member

fair play that makes sense, cant say fairer than that

Good to see her on the road

10. gillm

gillm ***** User

like this build alot . top work mate :) any idea what power it will put out ?

11. beetie

beetie Forum Member

cheers mate,

haven't got a clue on power. as said before i hope for 180bhp (stealth rollers) but a nice free reving 170 will do nicely.

once run in i'll be going to have it set up, and i'll definately keep you all informed of the total.

12. gillm

gillm ***** User

is it running kjet or motronic ?

13. beetie

beetie Forum Member

original mk2 k-jet

14. beetie

beetie Forum Member

the car has been booked into stealth for a set up on the rolling road on the 25th july. ready for the nurburgring trip.

so far the run in is going ok. except for i've only done 850miles, should be on around 1200 by now.

engine doesn't seem as revvy/free as before the rebuild, but maybe it's due to it being tight still (not run in enough) or even because it's not been set up.

still also got a problem with the coolant light flashing when the temp gauge gets to halfway. fan kicks in and oil temp only gets to 108[:s]
    i've replaced everything except the pump, rad and sensor at the back of the head. i've cleaned all the connections.[:x]

anyway roll on the 25th, not expecting a huge amount of power as it just doesn't feel that good at the minute. but we'll see

15. beetie

beetie Forum Member

well, i've got back from stealth and i'll post up the graphs later once i find my camera (scanner not working[:x])

was pretty much as expected, bearing in mind it was a hot morning and that the engine has still only done 1080 'running in' miles (not quite the 2000[:$] planned).

also fitted the oil cooler.
    rally design said that the fitting kit for the golf doesn't come with the metal mounting strips as there's already a place to mount it[:s] . so i did it the pikey way for now and used cable ties, which should do the job for a few weeks till i get some metal to do it properly.

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

what was the final score?

17. BigBumper New Member

What a place for the thread to finish! really want to know the power. nice build by the way

18. beetie

beetie Forum Member

sorry forgot to put the numbers up.

but i've now taken a photo of the printouts.
    it came out at 166bhp and 142lbft

power
    [​IMG]

torque
    [​IMG]

and details
    [​IMG]

should get a bit more loose once i've gone round the ring a few times next week.

the jagged bit at the top of the power graph was because he was struggling to keep the car on the rollers (tracking). although i had it done the other week[:s]

oh and it hit the limiter easy enough

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  19. bones

bones Paid Member Paid Member

looking forward to the Ring report

20. beetie

beetie Forum Member

well didn't get to go/drive around the ring.

on the way down to dover i thought that the car was overfuelling with a lot of black smoke being kicked out of the exhaust around 4000rpm.
    however, as we headed into the german towns round a twisty road the oil light came on accompanied by the horrible buzzer[xx(] .

i pulled over quickly and checked the oil, which was nowhere to be seen on the dipstick.

so, 2 1/2litres later and it was back upto the max.
    yes, i guess it was blue smoke (teach me for wearing sunglasses[:D] )

with this happening i decided it was best not to go round the ring, and just leave it at the camp site and drive it home come home time.

at the campsite the next morning i took all the spark plugs out and no4 looked very black:o all the others were ok.

the car did make it back home ok and it drives just like normal apart from the smoke screen. it used 2 litres to get back (around 550miles)

so on the agenda tomorrow is a compression test.

then, i think it might be a re-rebuild

big thanks to all the ring trip lads who gave me a passenger lap.
    chris eyre,
    steve r,
    david in the battered alfa (it will go into 3rd[:x] )
    and lairy1 and his dad who chaffuered me around:clap: and made sure i got back ok

was good to meet everyone else aswell. hopefully see you all again next year, but in a more reliable car