'90 2l 16v(ABF) mk2 (restoration page9, going megasquirt), mk5 ed30

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by beetie, Apr 7, 2007.

1. kerrly Forum Member

Disaster. but at least you got a passenger trip !!

thats such a shame. unfortunately its something i can relate to - well building a engine and it failing so so soon after, my engine barely managed a trip to alton towers an back - used 1l of oil an 10+l of water[:^(]

hope the rebuild goes smoother. i know you had a few issues along the line with this build but no doubt you have learnt enough to make 2nd time round easier!

if it is HG failure id try a ABF tripple layer steel next time.

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Glad you got back fine Martin and hope you enjoyed the passenger laps you did.

Sorted with the oil supply, at least <phew>

And I realised that I didn't get a chance to do your CV boot [:$]

3. beetie

beetie Forum Member

don't worry about it was the least of my worries at the time.

well this morning i tackled the engine by doing a bit of testing.

so first, a compression check. coil lead off, fuel pump fuse out
    soon realised that in order to screw the tester in i had to take the top part of the inlet off[xxx]
    [​IMG]

anyway onto the results.
    cylinder / reading
    1 / 195
    2 / 195
    3 / 200
    4 / 205

so th dry test showed very good compression across the bank of 4[:s] and the one i thought was the culprit was the highest.

looking at the removed inlet i could see that it was very oily[xx(]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so i took the whole lot off and looked at the cylinder ports. again very oily.
    [​IMG]

so, i then checked the breather pipe and it was very dirty with some particles in it engine side. this was cleaned out and refitted with a 'lizard spec' catch tank:lol:
    [​IMG]

the venturi flap was also oily
    [​IMG]

also the throttle boot
    [​IMG]

can a valver breath through this amount of oil?

how do i fix it?

what do you think could be wrong?

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

such a shame about the ring, but at least it doesn't look too serious, are all the breathers the same?

5. beetie

beetie Forum Member

think there's only that main breather to the airbox.

i still think it's the rings.

think i'm going to buy an ABF and put this head on it and see if it is ok. sell the worked on crank to get my money back.

if the problem still occurs though, then i know it is the head. so i can switch back to the worked on block and get the head fixed (put how it should be in the first place) by the man in the shed. i can then sell the complete ABF.

hope that all makes sense.

6. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

were they new rings? is it worth taking if for a thrash to see if the rings will seal properly.

EDIT. just looked thro the thread the were new rings!! I remember reading about new rings not sealing, altho TBH the Compression looks ok, so the must be sealing to a certain extent.

looking back earlier in the thread the breather were all funky, is this a problem that has continued after the rebuild

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  7. beetie

beetie Forum Member

yeah new rings.

done over 100 miles now and it's been on the rollers so i'm not sure if it can still bed in.

might drive it to work tomorrow and see how much the bodged catch tank collects.

8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

yeah, stop using that nissan.

can it be the rings? to start all of a sudden after a 1000 miles, surely it would have been doing it from day one?

9. harryc Forum Member

Good luck sorting the problem! Just read the whole thread and feel frustrated for you!!

10. beetie

beetie Forum Member

yeah has been doing it from the start, not as bad though, but people say that they use oil when running in.

oh and the nissan doesn't (touches wood) go wrong. plus it's alot quicker and more comfortable:p

and cheers harryc

11. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

well thats cursed it!

is it worth a thread in the engine section?

12. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

If I ever build an engine again I won't run it in carefully, at the end of the day, if it's gonna fukc up , it wil no matter how you drive it, rings are the only thing that needs bedding in, and you can do that in 20mins as per the motorman link earlier in the thread.

Martin, easy to sit here and say it, but... is/was it over full with oil? On a previous valver, I added oil to max mark, took it up the road and clouds of smoke came out, drained the litre of oil out that i'd put in, no more smoke.

The orange dipstick guide had been replaced and wasn't pushed down far enough, so the max mark was way overfull. Worth checking!

13. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Good point, also, which sump/oil pump and dipstick combination is being used at present? All need to match.

14. beetie

beetie Forum Member

the only bits new out of those were the ipstick tube and the plastic top bit of it.

ordered by ian b off of here.

they were the same size as the ones it replaced. so the oil level should be correct.

might get that ABF this weekend then i can begin investigating.

i think it is the rings as i didn't know you had to 'gap' them. i just put the gaps at different places on the piston, didn't check the size of the gap when in the bores.

i'll keep this updated when i find out more.

15. lufbramatt Forum Member

gapping the rings is just a case of pushing the ring squarely down in to the cylinder using the top of the piston, and using a feeler gauge in te gap where the two ends join to check the gap isnt too small. The ABF rings i got from ECP were all spot on and i didnt have to touch any of them. if the block has done a few miles i doubt the rings wouldve needed to be filed tbh.

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive done that too. resulted in over filled oil fun!

17. MJR89 Forum Member

have you found out what was causing the oil problem on this car? i am getting oil in the airbox and the pipes leading to the airbox so would help if you had found what was causing it on yours.

cheers

18. madmk4 Forum Member

:clap:

I agree, it's either built right and ready for the kaneage or it's going to blow !

My old boss who builds hillclimb engines maps them, runs in for 300 and different loads and "If it seems to like it, use it !"

As for the piston rings, Did you line up the compression and oil scraper ring gaps in the ring or stagger them around the circumfrence of the piston ?

Mart :)

19. beetie

beetie Forum Member

the engines's still going with the lizard spec catch tank and it's catching no oil and it doesn't seem as smokey.

still keeping my eye on it but i think it has settled down now after a few more miles. due to the engine being rebuilt.

i did stagger the rings. and the engine has compression on all four cylinders of 200psi.

20. madmk4 Forum Member

Well the only other way it could burn oil is it dropping down the valve guides, which is unlikely with a new head...

Paranoia ? It's normal after an engine rebuild haha