91 Mk2 GTI Replica: Work In Progress (LHD, ABF & AC)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by GG., Feb 19, 2014.

1. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Hi All,

I've been lurking around this forum for a while now, loads of great information! Toyotec's how to ABF your mk2 helped me alot last year when I was swapping an ABF into my previous mk2. Sadly my mk2 got destroyed in late 2013. I posted some photos over HERE

Sure, I was feeling down and wanted to give up on the whole mk2 thing. Big thanks to my old man for encouragement and help at that time. One day he sent me a mobile.de link to a mint (******* mint!) 91 mk2 Golf in Germany at a reasonable price of 2000Eur. Couple phone calls of little German sprachen later, I signed the papers and became the owner of a car I hadn't even seen in person.

Chapter 1: Introduction of the transplant recipient

Couple of days later we set off on our way to Elbe Parey in Germany, nearly 1400km away from Riga, Latvia. Needless to say how nervous I was the entire way there (15 hours of non stop driving).

When I finally saw the car, all of my doubts and worries went away. It looked like brand new. Little about the car:

First registration May 27th 1991
    One owner (an old couple)
    91'000km (full service history, all booklets and even the invoice for buying the car)
    2-door body in L97A Diamond Silver
    1.3l Digijet (NZ) engine with AKW 4-speed gearbox

X0A = National sales program Germany
    1AB = Power brake
    3FB = Spoiler roof
    5J0 = Without rear spoiler
    1C1 = Antifreeze up to -25 degree celsius tolerance up to -30 degree C
    4KC = Side and rear windows in heat-insulatingglass
    4GF = Windshield in heat-insulating glass
    3NB = Rear seat bench/backrest, completely folding
    8J1 = Hand brake/low brake fluid level warninglight without inscription
    8M1 = Rear window wiper and washer system with intermittent control
    8BB = Halogen headlight for driving on the right
    8D4 = 4 speakers (passive)
    3D1 = Center console
    8TC = Rear fog light for driving on the right
    8AC = Radio "beta"
    8U0 = Without additional instruments for distance measurement
    1TB = Fuel tank vent line with gravity valve and PVC breather hose

A couple of pictures from the advertisement on mobile.de

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was a little bit worried about driving 1400km back home in an unfamiliar car, I even had a tow rope and all fluids packed with me. Luckily I didn't need any of that stuff, the car ran great. What a motor! Loved every minute of the drive home.

Couple of days later I washed it and had my friend take some pictures for me. Here is my baby:

Still on transit plates:
    [​IMG]

Posing with my other car:
    [​IMG]

Creepy woods:
    [​IMG]

Brand spanking new interior, had seat covers on for all of it's life:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't even wash the engine bay:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some off road scenery:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My idea is to put the ABF from my destroyed GTI into this shell and replicate the looks of a 91 spec GTI, no mods, no nothing. I want to achieve the appearance of a mint 91 GTI.

I hope that this will be to your interest. It has the steering wheel on the correct (or is it wrong?) side of the car, so a something little bit different for you fellas. :) Pardon if my English is not spot on. [:$]

To be continued today!

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

What a great find!!! Looking forward to your updates :thumbup:

3. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Chapter 2: Introducing one of the donors

In accordance to my plan, I have a mint shell, an engine to go into it, but I needed all of the 91 GTI bits and pieces to transform the looks of the silver arrow (as I like to call my mk2 [:D]).

One fine day I was browsing adverts for mk2's and I found a 91 GTI, MOT for a year in crap visual condition, listed for 641Eur. I shook on a deal for 570Eur, so it was a steal. This gti has been neglected and hasn't been taken care of, but it had all the bits I needed.

-1991 16V GTI
    -alpine white L90E
    -KR (139hp), gearbox 2Y
    -power windows
    -AC!!!! (something I've always dreamed about having in my Mk2)
    -OEM central locking
    -Hella fogs

X4C = National sales program Italy
    1AF = Power brake
    3FB = Spoiler roof
    5J1 = Rear spoiler
    1C1 = Antifreeze up to -25 degree celsius tolerance up to -30 degree C
    4KC = Side and rear windows in heat-insulatingglass
    4GF = Windshield in heat-insulating glass
    3NB = Rear seat bench/backrest, completely folding
    1ME = Steering wheel
    8J1 = Hand brake/low brake fluid level warninglight without inscription
    8M1 = Rear window wiper and washer system with intermittent control
    8BG = Twin-headlight for driving on the right,with integrated high beam
    8D4 = 4 speakers (passive)
    3D1 = Center console
    8TC = Rear fog light for driving on the right
    8WD = Integrated front fog light
    8F2 = Side turn signal lights
    8U0 = Without additional instruments for distance measurement
    1TB = Fuel tank vent line with gravity valve and PVC breather hose
    1H1 = Load-sensitive proportioning valve

Poor thing:
    [​IMG]

A big nasty dent, but the bumper is untouched:
    [​IMG]

Working OEM fogs :o
    [​IMG]

How about those "lovely" podiums?:
    [​IMG]

Smells like dog hair, sweat and mold inside:
    [​IMG]

The funny thing is, the seller didn't even mention that it had AC in the listing. When I popped the bonnet, my heart almost stopped:
    [​IMG]

AC controls and Power windows, too bad the cubby hole in console is hacked up:
    [​IMG]

Neglect!:
    [​IMG]

4. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Thanks mate! :) I will keep this updated for sure!

I will need help from you guys with my many miscellaneous dumb questions lol

5. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Stripping one of the donors

All the valuable pieces from my crashed poo-brown GTI were removed, leftovers were sold. The bare shell now sits in my back yard, waiting for the scrappers to pick it up.

Here's something we're going to need! ABF & DPA 02a box:
    [​IMG]

Aftermath of the blow to the nose. Pretty bad huh :o
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

What a stunning original car, will be fantastic once the mods are done

7. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Yea, it's almost too nice to modify. But then again, a 1.3 4speed Golf will not put that big of a smile on my face. Thanks man!

Stripping the donor #2

I've removed the entire AC system from the white donor gti. The goal now is to fully understand the inner workings of the system and gather all of the parts needed. Mating ABF to a mk2 AC system doesn't seem that complicated. A mk2 AC compressor will not bolt up to ABF, so I need to get a new or refurbished mk3 AC compressor. I will go for a Nissens compressor SD7V16, the trouble is that mk2 AC lines will not bolt up to the compressor. I'm going to use adapter fittings, at least I hope so [:D]

The big questions are:

-where to draw vacuum for the ac system controls? Can I just use one of the capped off nipples on brake booster to intake plenum pipe? Will it not upset the ABF ECU? It measures intake manifold pressure afterall.

-will the ABF be able to idle on it's own if I simply slap an AC compressor on it? When the compressor kicks in, will it not affect idle much? I'm asking, because I remember there is a unused wire on my ECU harness, that I believe was AC related. A signal to ECU, that AC kicks in, perhaps?

I will post a lot of pictures of the AC system, to contribute some useful information on this rare extra.

Cozy in the warm garage:
    [​IMG]

Front end off! The bumper along with fogs will be used on the "Silver Arrow".
    [​IMG]

Radiator/condenser assembly:
    [​IMG]

Pressure switches and relay. If I understand correctly they tell the AC compressor when to shut off/turn on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drier for the AC system:
    [​IMG]

What's this bit? K-Jet cold start related I guess?
    [​IMG]

AC Piping:
    [​IMG]

More neglect and rotting leaves. That lovely smell of forest lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you could use mk3 golf pipes as well, only real difference is a single 4 pin a/c switch rather than a pair of 2 pin ones. you could probably fit a mk3 rad fan control unit to run it all instead of the mk2 system with relays everywhere...

worst case if the mk3 pipes wont fit the mk2 a/c rad in the airbox you can use the mk3 aircon fan blower housing, you just keep the mk2 middle flap housing and bolt the mk3 blower part to it.

any mk3 1.8-2.0 8v or 16v a/c compressor will work, you need the steady bracket and watyerpump pulley from the donor car plus the longer belts obviously. the rest of the abf bits will work as the alternator and tensioner bracket are the same for a/c models :)

that metal valve you picture is the cold throttle fuel enrichment valve, adds fuel if you rev the engine hard when its still cold :)

9. seventynine Forum Member

first pictures are lovely, what lens is that? i'm guessing a 1.2, maybe an 85mm?

keep up the good work

10. GG.

GG. Forum Member

To be honest, Rubjonny, I'd rather keep the mk2 pipes as they are in good nick.

The mk3 that the ABF originally came from had AC, so the alternator/AC comperssor bracket is already there. By the looks of it the compressor should just bolt up to what I have. I'll need to figure out the serpentine belt routing and pulleys. What is a good place to look for that info? AutoData?

Ah, good! I definitely don't need that valve, as my ABF will be running standard Digi3. I guess it's related to this piece (a temp sensor?) just in front of throttle body. I semember seeing something very similar on a mk3 ABF air filter housing. What is it's purpose?
    [​IMG]

Any thoughts on where to draw vacuum for the AC controls?

Thanks for the help! :thumbup:

Unfortunately I don't know. All I know it was a big camera with Cannon written on it lol

I will ask my mate about the lens. He's really good with a camera. I love this picture he took:

[​IMG]

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

with mk3 ac the compressor runs off the alternator belt, and the waterpump runs off the pas belt. the only difference between the ac and non-ac is the addition of compressor plus a different waterpump pulley and longer belts:
    http://www.vwspares.co.uk

I'd have thought the mk2 compressor would bolt up, if so you will need to change the pulley for a mk3 one but not sure if it will fit?

for the ac vacuum as you say tap it to one of the nipples on the brake servo hose, you'll need the vacuum reservoir off the mk2 as well its hidden behind the wing I believe.

the temp sensor in the inlet boot/airbox is for the warm air feed to the airbox. it doesnt really do much for warm-ish climates on fuel injection cars i binned off all my vacuum pipes years ago and have noticed no ill affects

12. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Thanks mate! I will look into fitting a mk3 pulley to the mk2 compressor. If it will fit, the compressor will be fully refurbished.

Ok, great, I'll use the nipple you suggested. The vac reservoir is removed along with all other AC components. Seems to be in good nick, leak tested it and gave it a wash. It will be perfectly useable. :thumbup:

Sweet, I will be ditching all the war air stuff too. I use my mk2's in summer only, so it won't be needed.

:thumbup:

Some more work done:

I pulled and inspected the radiator/condenser assembly. The condenser is in bad shape, so I ordered a new one from NRF along with a new Nissens drier, the cooling radiator has seen better days as well. Ordered that too from Nissens. Cowling and all brackets have been sent off to sandblasting and powdercoating. I'm also fitting a brand new Nissens heater matrix as a precaution. Might as well do it now when the heater box is out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cooling radiator full of dirt:
    [​IMG]

Pulling out the HVAC unit:
    [​IMG]

Some "nice" wiring by the previous owner:
    [​IMG]

Dash off:
    [​IMG]

Will have to do some firewall cutting on the "Silver Arrow"
    [​IMG]

HVAC unit removed:
    [​IMG]

One of the vacuum actuators is damaged, looks like the previous owner tried to glue the nipple back on. No worries, a replacement has been sourced:
    [​IMG]

This GTI unfortunately wasn't equipped with pollen filter and probably has been driven on gravel roads, so the HVAC is full of dust, farts, sneezes and dog hair:
    [​IMG]

All flaps are completely destroyed:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More dirt:
    [​IMG]

Ta-daaaa! AC evaporator full of dirt and dog hair:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I can't stand any smells in my car, every little thing is washed before putting back together. I don't want to breathe 20yrs worth of alergens.

Poo water from washing the heater box:
    [​IMG]

Rebuilding the flaps. I used self adhesive foam from DIY store. It's used for drywall metal profile damping.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cleanded, wire brushed and degreased:
    [​IMG]

Foam tape on:
    [​IMG]

Clean and fixed:
    [​IMG]

Cleaned the evaporator with a toothbrush, shop vac and compressed air:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heater matrix slot, waiting for the order to arrive:
    [​IMG]

Radiator assembly wiring tested and cleaned. All connectors disassembled and thoroughly cleaned:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More to come!

13. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Fantastic work! makes me want to rip all my air con stuff out and clean it. Don't know why I didn't open it up and clean it when I was fitting mine.

14. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Thanks Lukey! You can manage to do it till the summer. [:D]

15. GG.

GG. Forum Member

A small update:

The heater box is all assembled, only bit that's missing is the gasket for air intake. I ordered a new one from VW along with other random bits.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Received my first pile of ordered parts. Nissens 675mm radiator, NRF aircon condenser, Nissens drier, Nissens heater core, Topran rheostat and rear ABF Lemforder engine mount. I can't source a company that has good quality mk2 16v hydro front and gearbox mounts. Even VWheritage is out of stock for the front mount.
    [​IMG]

Nissens heater matrix. Nice kit, all gaskets included:
    [​IMG]

Gave the new matrix a bath in hot water & ph-neutral soap as suggested by Rubjonny. It had some nasty oily smell to it:
    [​IMG]

Fitted, nice and clean:
    [​IMG]

New vs old rheostat. Previous owner had attempted to repair it somehow. Might explain why fan didn't work on all speeds:
    [​IMG]

Discovered a nasty surprise. When I had the crash in my old GTI, the idle switch somehow got broken and fell down on the exhaust manifold. Good that it was heat wrapped, otherwise it might have caught on fire. Found a new one @ Seat dealership for 28eur.
    [​IMG]

Here's the pressure receiver under left wing and how it's mounted:
    [​IMG]

I also picked up a mk3 subframe, 90a alternator (the old one got hurt in the crash) and "g60" brakes from a mk3 8v GTI.

More work to be done tomorrow :)

16. mcscooby New Member

Nice! I'm gonna have to re-foam my heater flaps soon but I really don't want to!

17. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Update:

Slowly but surely, we are moving forward. Here's some of the progress.

The 1.3 minty fresh Golf was still on German transit plates, so I had to go and get it registered and safety inspected (equivalent of MOT). On our way!
    [​IMG]

Waiting for the MOT. The system we have here is retarded, compared to other European countries. Once a year you have to go to this facility to have your car tested. And there is one of these stations in every city. Madness! Anyways, passed the inspection with one advisory - minor gearbox oil leak. Right where the gear selector enters the box. :thumbup: The guy who performed the inspection was really impressed and said :"That is one clean golf, man!" to which I replied :"It will be even cleaner, man!"
    [​IMG]

Later on I started gathering parts for the build:
    -TRW 280mm rotors
    -TRW pads
    -TRW balljoints
    -TRW track rods & ends
    -Lemforder dustboots
    -TRW slider pins for the G60's
    -Autorfren rebuild kit for the G60's
    -SKF wheel bearings
    -Ruville spindles

Feels like christmas [:D]
    [​IMG]

Rebuilt the G60 calipers with fresh seals and new cylinders. Sandblasted and powdercoated red.
    [​IMG]

Random bits and pieces sandblasted and powdercoated:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mk3 subframe, so I can use mk3 ABF engine mounts:
    [​IMG]

Rack and new heatshield installed:
    [​IMG]

Seat Toledo track control arms powdercoated, new balljoints and Strongflex PU bushings installed:
    [​IMG]

Scored last bits of the missing 16v GTI paraphernalia for a steal, paid 3Euro to a guy who didn't know the value:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  18. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Picked up a new daily driver, which stole my attention from the mk2 project.

2005 GTI, 86'000 miles on the clock, imported from Italy. It has a 6-speed, dual climate control, rain sensor, multiwheel, cruise control, and other goodies. :clap:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What a wonderful daily driver! Enough oomph to put a smile on your face, every time. Handles like it's on rails, pretty impressive for a stock suspension car. :thumbup: Did a service, oil, all filters, gearbox oil, cam follower. Still got some bits to sort out - a few nasty rattles in the interior and minor water leaks from both rear doors.

[​IMG]

jamesa likes this.
  19. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Hi Fellas! Looks like I won't get the mk2 finished this year, I'll continue working on it in the winter. I guess that's a good thing, more time never hurts.

Update

Stripping the block and painting it black gloss. Block stripped:
    [​IMG]

Got some more goodies:
    [​IMG]

The point of no return - gutting the silver Golf. This low mileage 1.3 engine is now in a local guys VW Derby project.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The engine bay wasn't all that dirty to start with. After pressure wash:
    [​IMG]

The worst rust on the entire shell. I guess it's impossible to find a mk2 that doesn't have rust under the battery:
    [​IMG]

Original wax cleaned off and rust ground down. Not all that bad, eh? Rust is not that severe, no welding at this time. Should be fine for 5+ more years:
    [​IMG]

Removing the dashboard to get to the heater box:
    [​IMG]

How I keep all screws and fasteners organized:
    [​IMG]

To install the AC heater box, two holes have to be made in the bulkhead. One for the AC pipes, and the other one for draining. Big ups to guys at VW for kindly making perforated lines in the sound deadening and carpet where the holes should be.
    [​IMG]

In order to keep the interior dust free installing a pollen filter. Can be had new from Knecht, with the mounting frame.
    [​IMG]

In order to convert to big g60 brakes, I'm using a 22mm master cylinder which I rebuilt and refurbished:
    [​IMG]

The extremely low stance on my brown GTI had hurt the drive shafts pretty bad. There was a lot of pitting and grooving in the CV joints. Had the axles sandblasted and powdercoated, new CV joints and boots installed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Completely rebuilt the vacuum system, using OEM lines:
    [​IMG]

In order to install the g60 brakes, I am using knuckles from the white donor GTI. Full sandblast and powdercoat treatment. After the pic was taken, I installed new SKF bearings and brand new spindles\;
    [​IMG]

As you may have noticed I'm preparing everything around the engine to make things easier when swapping the engine. Wiring looms got the full treatment too. Every connector that had corrosion was depinned and cleaned up. Wired in headlight height adjustment, MFA temp sensor etc. Shortened the ECU loom which was way too long to mount the ECU in rain tray. A lot of wires around the cylinder head had been damaged by heat and oil. Got them all fixed and neatened up. The entire loom was then covered in corrugated split tubing. Ordered a Seat Toledo ECU mount to mount the ABF ECU properly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had the brown GTI scrapped. RIP!
    [​IMG]

Refurbishing and cleaning the AC pipes:
    [​IMG]

Ground the rust down, acid primed, epoxy primed, painted body colour and clear coated. Flooded the panel with hot wax for that OEM look. Removed every grommet and plug from frame rails and bulhead to put them back in with a wee bit of wax to prevent rusting under the rubbers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Engine bay as it stands now. All minor rust spots ground down and painted, every nook and crannie treated with hot Dinitrol wax to prevent rusting. Cut a hole for the hydraulic clutch, swapped the pedal assembly, installed the refurbished brake booster & master:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Howdy! We are AC pipes!
    [​IMG]

Removed the exhaust and heatshield to get to the gear linkage that will be swapped over to cable operated mechanism from a mk3. Found a tiny bit of surface rust under there. Every rust spot was ground down, epoxied and painted. A good dose of sealing wax on top of that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had the front crossmember and radiator support sandblasted and powdercoated. Now waiting for new OEM bushings for the crossmember.
    [​IMG]

Gearbox housing was sandblasted and painted with automotive paint mixed 1:1 with lacquer. Got a really smooth semi gloss finish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scored me some proper leccy Recaros, yum!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Progress is really slow, because no stone is left unturned. Guys who have done this will understand. :thumbup:

20. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Awesome nice work take all winter and your motor will be off the scale sweet :thumbup:

GG. likes this.