9a engine

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Leigh ivison, May 27, 2021.

1. theboysmiffy

theboysmiffy Paid Member Paid Member

I do. Twin 45, shed head, Schrick 276 and Dta ignition saw 215 at the flywheel.

Attached Files:

erreesse and Leigh ivison like this.
  2. Leigh ivison New Member

What’s a shed head i haven’t heard of them! That’s really good power,how much you looking for?

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

"I do not recall any problems", means, until I mentioned driveability and not limited to full load, you just never observed.
    "Pulls to the redline," So does my diesel to 5k. In my case pointless though.

Based on all we know on this forum over the years, fitting two KR exhaust cams are a redundant step and not a step I would ever recommend for an ABF, ACE, ADL or late 9A engine, with a 051103373D cylinder head.

erreesse likes this.
  4. Leigh ivison New Member

Are the abf cams a good upgrade for the 9a engine

5. Leigh ivison New Member

What’s a shed head i haven’t heard of them! That’s really good power,how much you looking for?

6. 2swe Forum Member

"Pulls to the red line" means the engine does not run out of steam well before the rev limit, like PL or 9A with "mild" intake cam do.

Nobody would fit two KR exhaust cams to ABF, cos the difference between them are minor ,the KR exhaust cam has only 1° more duration, ABF has 0,6mm more lift, so it is not worth the effort..

7. theboysmiffy

Shed head is from Dave Crisell, the man in the shed, also known as All Stage, he’s very well respected for his head work.

You could have the cams for £50 plus p&p. Seem to be going for £100 plus on ebay.

8. theboysmiffy

Hang on! I think these are KR cams. Will have to go back and find the abf cams.

9. theboysmiffy

My apologies, the abf cams went with the old head. You are welcome to the kr cams if they are any use to you.

Leigh ivison likes this.
  10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Because the PL and 9A 027 inlet cam, is profiled to achieve best cylinder fill by 4200 rpm and drops cylinder fill soon after, just as the later 051 101A inlet cam, fitted to the ADL (EU only), and ACE. Pointless to rev to 6500 rpm if you are lucky. I have done the tests, driven the cars and have the data.
    So at the time folks in the US (who did not get the KR KJet engine) obsessed with peak power nonsense, came up with the twin 027 exhaust cam mod in place as a "cheap mod". Low speed and light load cylinder fill IS compromised due to the overlap angle folks end up at with twin exhaust mods. They are more top end and peaky at full load at the compromised LCA, hence the reason it will "pull to the redline" or to ~ 7000 rpm

Today based on what we know now, peaky engines on the basis of full load only are not acceptable.

Time moved on and production engine components got better.
    The profile and lift on a 051 101 and 102 camshaft set is such, it does not suffer low speed and low load blow through, like twin 027 exhaust cams do, while allowing good cylinder fill at 3500 - 5000 rpm on a stock plenum manifold and of course less restriction with a 27 mm exhaust valve on a 27 mm valve seat with less shrouding from the 051103373D cylinder head. Perfect for an OE Digifant 3.x road engine in a VW Golf 3 or Seat Ibiza/Cordoba/Toledo, while complying with local emission regulations.
    Even better with a tuned ECU.

You are not replying to a novice on this topic. And my posts and experiences are all over this forum, regarding 16v engine experience and ownership.

Happy to learn something, I have not yet tested or experienced with old classic EA827 16v engines.

erreesse likes this.
  11. 2swe Forum Member

Toyotec : I really respect your knowledge, I know who you are and what you do for us.

Do you have personal experience with dual exhaust mod ? dyno graph "exhaust" cam vs. ABF cam ?
    I'm affraid most confusion and disappointment comes from people in US who did not bother to time the intake cam properly, they just cut the pulley end and installed cam 6 or 7 teeth advanced - either too advanced or too retarded.

You mentioned overlap, can you explain what you mean ? KR exhaust is 220°/10,2mm lift , ABF intake is 219°/10,8mm lift. Properly timed "exhaust" cam starts opening at the same crank position as stock intake cam, then the overlap is the same, right ?

Yes, I know 051 373D is the final evolution and best head for our 16v's . I have it in my other car with schricks and itb's.
    My '91 corrado came with 051 373, I'm trying to get the best of it.

[​IMG]

This is not a torque curve, but RPM vs. PW gives you an idea how is the engine breathing..
    9A, 051 373 head, ABF intake and injectors, 9A cast exhaust manifold, stock exhaust.

erreesse likes this.
  12. Leigh ivison New Member

Is
    it worth fitting kr cams in a 9a?

13. Leigh ivison New Member

Yes
    Yes please if they make a difference to a 9a?

14. theboysmiffy

15. Leigh ivison New Member

Yes please

16. theboysmiffy

How does £40 plus p&p sound?