A3 1.8t 180 quattro blue smoke after hard acceleration

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by 1.8t180a3, Aug 20, 2017.

1. 1.8t180a3 New Member

Hi guys after some information. I have an a3 1.8t quattro 180. 1999 year and after some hard acceleration she's started to smoke (blue in colour) and also smells of burning oil.

Now it can't be much as my oil level hasn't moved in the 3 months of ownership.

Also most recently after going out with some friends a red oil lights came on in the mfd for about 5 seconds then went off.

I have been looking into replacing the stem seals and all other associated seals, gaskets, timing belt kit, cam chain kit etc.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this issue and whether you found the issue.

Any advice would be massively appreciated before I start spending money, time and valuable swearing on something that didn't need doing.

Just to add the car has 122k and timing belt kit was done at 81 due to the service book.

Many thanks Martin

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Most 20vTs are have some age now and do have worn exhaust valve guides. That could be one source of your smoke.

3. FiTekno New Member

I had same sympton and it was turbo leaking oil what it spinned fast..