ABF extremely high oil pressure

Discussion in '16-valve' started by arnau, Jun 27, 2021.

1. arnau Forum Member

Hi there, Long story short, I retrofitted an ABF engine into a KR Corrado, but keeping K-Jetronic and all Corrado accessories (alternator, etc.). This was made in 2011, so a while ago, and I had been using the Corrado daily since then with no problems at all.

The thing is that I had an issue a couple of months ago (January), during a really cold morning including snow and so on. The car started on the key as usual but the oil pressure was really high. I have a pressure gauge that was pointing at its MAX, and the oil light in the dash was flashing. The engine sounded loud, as if the tappets were stuck. I drove the car for about 10km with the oil pressure touching the sky, and when I parked it I found that the oil sandwich/oil filter was leaking oil.

I have read several threads about low oil pressure, but things are not clear to me with high oil pressure issues. Some people talk about oil conducts being blocked, or even a faulty pressure relief valve.

What are your thoughts? Thank you in advance for helping me bring my Corrado back to life!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Usually a faulty relief valve. And high pressure will often make the filter loosen or leak

3. watercooled Forum Member

Very true,had the same issue,cooler seal blew first,then as my luck ? would have it not long after the headgasket went and crankcase blow by popped the crank seal,was only a few minutes away from home till the oil was about gone !!!!
    Fitting ABF to my corrado @ the moment,hope you sort it your issue,cheers

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep probably the valve stuck in the oil pump. means stripping the sump off to get the pump removed,. you can then try to free off the valve. may find its too far gone, in which case need a new oil pump

5. arnau Forum Member

hey thank you all!! can the valve be replaced or you suggest a full oil pump replacement?

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

7. watercooled Forum Member

John is correct as always,personally I won't bother trying to free up the relief,in my experience these pumps are efficient and robust so don't fail much,you may get the relief to work again but the rest of the pump will most likely be pretty worn,just buy a new one,cheers.

8. arnau Forum Member

hi all, thank you for your comments, I will replace it then :thumbup:

9. wone New Member

thank you