ABF g-lader

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by ivanro_jo, Jun 5, 2016.

1. ivanro_jo Forum Member

Hi all!

I have found this video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/4_3m7kSGjc/?taken-by=vwbros.galicia

Is a stock abf (stock cr) with a g-lader, in the video no intercooler fitted it was just for first run after that a small intercooler was fitted, the owner said me that the car has run 3000 milles until now without any issue.

I love the idea of an abf with a g-lader, (it looks quite easy to fit)or at least easier than a turbo, i have an abf kjetronic, will be possible to run it with the g-lader and the k-jet? I thought to use stock g-lader pulley or even a bigger one, I don't wanna a big amount of bhps, probably will be enough 0.4-0.5 bar and 200 bhp for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

other "cheap" example:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you think?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  2. Break Forum Member

if you can build the bits, why not, i bet it would be great!

3. ivanro_jo Forum Member

Yes I can built all the bits, the big deal is to find a cheap g-lader, and dont brake a rod hehehe.

On the other hand, im thinking to upgrade my abf, my first thought was diesel crank machined piston and ported head, 180 190 bhp I guess, but now i have doubt about this option or going g-lader way.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  4. Ben_s Forum Member

Kjet and the g-lader won't play well together I don't think. Once you add boost, there are too many variables in fuel requirements for the kjet ecu to handle correctly.

Im sure you could make it work but using the original digi manage management from a g60 would be the easiest and cheapest way. Making it run on kjet is one thing, but making it run well and reliably is a different story lol

There's a couple of ecus and looms on eBay at the moment

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

5. Ben_s Forum Member

Also, I wouldn't want a larger than standard pulley on the charger as you may well run out of boost towards the higher end of the rev range.

6. ivanro_jo Forum Member

So, do you think the rods will stand the stock cf more 0.65 bar from the compressor?

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

As the charger is spinning continuously, your you will need a more progressive means of bypassing the boost as you increase load off idle.
    Myself followed by a few others, run ABF engines with stock internals beyond 300bhp and 1.2 bar.

8. ivanro_jo Forum Member

Yes but with lower cr, 9.1:1 right? the question was 0.6 and 10.5:1 of cr, the price of the g-lader and eatons, and all the adaptation, made to change my mine and going 2042cc and machined pistons.

My abf head is stock, how many hp will i get with a diesel crank and machined pistons? will it worth with a stock head?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  9. ivanro_jo Forum Member

Hi! I have read that some eaton from mercedes have an electric clutch, so would be possible just activate it when you want ?

I mean going n/a as stock, and when you want, activate the eaton electric cluch and 5 injector for example.

10. Toyotec

The stock engine size is fine.
    You need to lower the compression to reduce the chances of knock. Hence the spacer, stacking gaksets or the more expensive low compression pistons.
    Yes. The M62 charger from a 230 SLK has an actuating clutch at the front. Sadly the pulley for that is too big to provide an useful boost, when coupled to a standard ABF damper. So you are back to a direct drive system and the problem of venting the excess air from idle to part load.

11. Ben_s Forum Member

I still don't think kjet and a supercharger is ever going to work but just throwing this out there, if you were to place a g60 throttle body between the metering head and the charger then the boost return on the TB could be used to bypass the metering head at idle. Instead of dumping boost like the standard setup it could just pull air in via the second butterfly to supply he charger. Then as the main butterfly opened and the secondary closed, the charger would start to pull air from the metering head.

That doesn't mean it would work as you'd still have no real control over the fueling. Even if it did work, it would drive like poo lol

Weren't the clutched pulleys used to just deactivate the charger at high rpm on the Mercedes setup? Or were they more intelligent that that? Either way, bad idea

12. Toyotec

That would be the AC. The supercharger clutch was switched on via the ECU, when torque demand required boosting.

13. Ben_s Forum Member

[emoji106]

14. ivanro_jo Forum Member

thanks a lot for the answers! im afraid superchargered my abf involves too much work and money with a not very clear final power result...

So the best option for my is to stroker the abf with diesel crank and machined pistons and gxv gearbox, probably this set up will be less impresive but for sure it worsk fine!

P.D: i know that 1.8t or vr6 or other engines will give more power"easily" and fun, but I m a 16v lover!