Abf G145 cylinder 1 not recognised

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Matas, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Matas Forum Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2020
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

in the end the whole engine was replaced and the problem went away. so I guess there was some kind of head gasket or valve issue, I neaver heard what happened to the original engine in the end.

the code you mention is for the hall sensor in the distributor, its either a wiring fault or the sensor itself. 1st thing to do is remove the sensor loom from the engine from the round plug and strip the taper off. fix any damaged wiring then refit, clear code and see if it comes back. if it does, try another distributor or if you can find a hall sensor kit for it you can swap that over.

3. Matas Forum Member

Damn, those are sad news, hope hall sensor will help, also we checked catalyst with infrared thermometer, the side from exhaust manifold is 100 degrees hotter than the other side, so i guess its clogged? It would also explain stuttering and hard gear change while cold engine

4. rubjonny

could be, you could fit a decat pipe or a scrap cat with the internals smashed out for testing just to see if it helps before you buy a new one assuming a catalyst is a legal requirement where you are

5. Matas Forum Member

Its legal yeh, but i cant complete my mot anyways for the sound my exhaust makes haha, its actually surprising how good it sounds with only back pipe changed

6. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

God damn that problem was a pain the arse, took longer diagnosing all of that than the conversion did haha. Still forever in debt for RJ's and Ed's help on that one.

I did indeed change the engine but the same problem remained. In the end it was narrowed down to a HT lead and plug combo not liking each other of all things...but would only show at random/rogue times meaning several of us had signed them off individually as working goods.

The original engine lives on in a mates Mk3.

7. Matas Forum Member

Haha so If changing hall sensor and removing cat wont help, ill be in a deeep hole hahaha

8. rubjonny

ah ok, my memory isnt what it seems then I guess :lol:

9. Matas Forum Member

You changed the engine but left wiring loom and all other things the same?

10. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

The engine swap was a last resort. I found a lower mileage engine and figured I had nothing to loose. I'd gotten pretty fast at taking an ABF apart by then!

The loom did the rounds from memory being run on 3 cars. I tried two different looms (in fact I'm pretty sure I swapped looms with RJ? :lol: I remember him very kindly running it on his own MK2!).

The dizzy hall sender issue didn't really seem to cause a problem and sorted itself. If it's not the cat issue you mentioned above, have you tried a different '30' ECU relay? They can be temperamental.

11. Matas Forum Member

Yes i changed ecu relay, nothing changed

12. rubjonny

yes you sent me back the first loom I made for you, I tested each and every pin to make sure it was good. I then tried it in my car by running it up and down the road like this, found no faults at all:
    remoteloom.jpg

As the car was coming off the road for a bit anyway for good measure I took the wiring loom out of my car and sent it to you. Then I rebuilt your loom for my car with some choice mods for the future climatronic install ;)

jmsheahan likes this.
  13. Matas Forum Member

Do you still work with wiring looms if all things wont help is there a chance for me to send you mine? Just in case asking haha

14. rubjonny

yeah but my list is over a year long these days, I've got more requests than ever and next to no free time to get thru them all now I've got 2 kids!

Matas likes this.
  15. Matas Forum Member

Hahah understandable ;)