ABF Head Gasket

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Nick Guilbert, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Nick Guilbert New Member

Hi,

I'm losing coolant, and overheating in my 2.0ltr 16v mk3 ABF. So I'm guessing the head gasket needs doing. I'm on about 115,000 so I think it's ready for it.

I've started, and whilst I'm not a mechanic, I've got a vague idea and have done head gaskets on SOHC in the past.

My first question is, do I have to undo the lamba sensor? it looks like a pain and looks like it is rusted in. I reckon I'll ruin both the sensor and the exhaust.

Thanks!
    Nick

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the head gaskets dont routinely go on these, 115k is nothing for a relatively well maintained abf. so HG would be the last thing on my list of suspects. more likely to be a leaky front or side flange, thermostat housing, pinholed hose, core plug, matrix etc so double, double check.

if you can get a good look down the cylinder holes a good clue if its the gasket is a very clean cylinder, or if left overnight coolant in the bore. theres the obvious white smoke out the back also, pressurised hoses etc. if it was leaking into the oil you would soon know about it as the oil on the dipstick will turn to mayonaise

doing HG on these is no worse than an 8v engine, same basic procedure. dont have to remove the lambda split the manifold off the head. if you did want to pull mainfold and downpipe out you can unplug the lambda near the rear engine mount then it'll come out still in place. once off the car good time to attack it as well ;)

Nick Guilbert likes this.
  3. Nick Guilbert New Member

Hi rubjonny,
    Thanks for your note. I've got as far as taking the cam cover off; so I'm just considering putting it all back together to review your points. It isn't blowing white smoke and the oil hasn't been affected by water; so maybe it is just a small leak somewhere. On other golfs I have found these hard to track down and ended up doing the HG.

What do you mean by the front and side flange, core plug and matrix please?

I'll have a look down the cylinder head and see if I can identify anything and report back on here.

If I am to proceed with the HG, a few more points:
    1) If I can get the cambelt off by relaxing the tensioner pully do I have to take the camshaft sprocket off? Why bother?
    2) I don't need to undo the chain between the cams as all that comes out with the head, right?
    3) If I don't rotate the cams the valves won't move independently will they?

Thanks

4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Underneath the inlet there is a 3 bolt flange, these tend to leak. I had it on mine. And the top rad hose had a bit of plastic in it where it splits off, this was blocked.

I was told it needed a HG, it didn’t these two solved it.

I have pictures somewhere If needed

5. rubjonny

1) no need to remove the camshaft sprocket or cams, just pull the head off complete
    2) nope
    3) as long as you keep the chain on you can move it all you want, just make sure cam and crank are at TDC before you start reassembly

good point about the top rad hose, on the mk3 abf there is a plastic fitting pushed into the T junction which has a tiny, tiny hole in it which is prone to clogging up. What you can do is chop the whole section out and replace it with a plastic fitting from a MK4 Golf 1J0121087B, This is what I used on my MK2 when I fitted a G60 aircon rad:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...bf-now-abf-management-widetrack.85893/page-12

6. Nick Guilbert New Member

OK thanks guys, I'll take a look at these bits tonight and report back!

Thanks very much for the feedback to the questions.

7. Nick Guilbert New Member

Hi Guys,

Been out to the car and investigated the 3 bolt flange. Looks like water is coming from there.
    Just trying to work how to pit images on here from my phone!!!

Nick

8. Savagesam

You can click the upload button at the bottom of the page, next to post. Click what you want then add them into the post :)

9. Nick Guilbert New Member

Thanks Savagesam, but I am being super thick here. All I can see is "post reply" and "more options" which just takes me to another page.

10. Savagesam

Ah okay, you’ll need a post count above 10, you’re on 5, half way there.

For now, upload to imgur and then code in the link

11. Nick Guilbert New Member

OK, I now have a handle on imgur!

Here are some images of the findings. I'm thinking this is the problem. All feedback well received!
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. rubjonny

13. Nick Guilbert New Member

Having properly taken it off now I can see it is broken on the inner section. Yes, I'll got one of those as you have suggested. I'll post on here how it goes!

Thanks for all your help everyone

14. wone New Member

thank you