ABF Mk2 Project - Help!

Discussion in '16-valve' started by GW8419, Jul 27, 2020.

1. GW8419 New Member

Hi all,

I’m really hoping for some help with my Mk2 ABF project. It started as a 1990 (CE2) 1.6 Driver and I’ve fitted the full front and rear subframes, wheels, brakes, steering etc from a 97 Mk3 16v I broke as a donor a couple of years ago. I’ve just recently fitted the engine loom from the mk3 along with the fuel tank, filter, fuel lines and ABF engine mated to the original MK2 020 gearbox. My problem is it won’t start.

There’s life with the battery hooked up as the lights and wipers work and there’s a buzz from the fuel rail but there’s not even a click from the engine. I have relay 30 from the old mk3 plugged in at position 3 and obviously the fusebox plugs too but what would cause it to have no life in the engine bay at all, not even a click from the starter? Could it be a bad earth or relay 30 not working? I’ve used the Mk3 coil and replaced it with a new one plus new distributor arm and cap but it seems to be an electrical issue like nothing is happening at all?

Relay 167 from the Mk3 is in position 12 and the fuel pump does run, but there’s fuel leaking from the injector rail now down the front of the block as if the pump is forcing it out with ignition on? Surely the return pipe should prevent this though?

I’ve used the negative battery cable from the mk2 lighting loom and the positive from mk3 if that makes any difference.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated as electrics aren’t my strong point!

Gavin

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the starter is fed by a direct live from ignition switch via fusebox so ecu has no affect on that. dont even try to crank it till you fix the fuel leak though, even if you jump fuel pump on constant the seals shoudlnt leak and as you say the fpr will dump any excess back to tank. could be simple as loose bolt somewhere on rail

GW8419 likes this.
  3. GW8419 New Member

Thanks for your input rubjonny!

I'm about to see where the fuel leak is coming from so will sort that first.

I guess it could be a duff starter as it's a second hand mk3 2.0 8v one that I've never tested.

If it is the starter am I right in thinking there would be nothing to say if the ecu is working or not without the engine cranking? So that could explain why there's no sign of life other than fuel pump and wipers etc?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the only other thing you can check for is for the ISV buzzing with ignition, jump the starter with 12v see if it cranks then. fix fuel leak first though as I say