ABF Oil Pressure Sensor

Discussion in '16-valve' started by antinkariba, Aug 31, 2009.

1. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I have three sensors on my oil cooler. I am currently using 2 of them. Whats the third one for? Can I use it to run an oil pressure gauge?

The ABF is fitted in my 89 Corrado.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

small one with white colar is oil temp, large one with white colar is high oil pressure warning switch and large one with brown/blue collar is low oil pressure

3. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Sweet, thanks

4. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

pardon the crash but I have the abf oil filter mount with 3 holes for the sensors but was going to use my 2 spare kr sensors and blank of the 3rd to save me buying new ones.

is this wise? what effect will it have?

cheers

5. rubjonny

that will be fine, no ill effects. the 3 hole housings are handy as you can fit VDO gauges without needing a T piece :)

6. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

brilliant, cheers!

7. tom1989 Forum Member

Sorry to drag up an old thread but this is half way to answering a question I have haha. I'm doing an ABF conversion into my CE1 MK2 golf using the standard ABF management, but I have none of the three sensors in the oil filter housing, does anyone know the part numbers of these sensors and are there any seals to go with them? Am I best off getting new genuine ones or do Euro Car Parts or GSF etc do decent reproduction ones?

I'm guessing that I'll still need the two oil pressure sensors in case something goes wrong and I lose oil pressure (will it still buzz/flash the light on my mk2 clocks?), but do I actually need the oil temp sensor because I'm running the mk2 clocks but I don't have MFA (it's only a 1.6 driver, but with GTI clocks) or does the ECU use the oil temp to monitor/adjust something?

Maybe I should start a build thread...

Cheers in advance.

8. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Standard Mk2 switches discussed here. I can't see why an ABF engine would need anything different, but couldn't say for sure. Gotta be lots of conversion threads with the necessary info.
    If you fit the standard Mk2 switches, they should do the same with buzzer and LED as with your previous engine. I'm 99% sure the ABF ECU will not get involved with information coming from the oil temperature sensor, I doubt the wiring goes anywhere but to the clocks. So leave that out/blank the hole.

tom1989 likes this.
  9. rubjonny

as pete says, abf ecu doesnt have any wiring to the oil senders, linky has part numbers for mk1/2 switches. and no, you wont need the oil temp sender as thats for the mfa, but you will need something to blank the hole off!

tom1989 likes this.
  10. tom1989 Forum Member

Awesome, that makes things easier, I'll just take the ones out of my 8v engine that's already in the mk2 then and use them and get a blank for the third hole.

Cheers guys.

11. tom1989 Forum Member

Just to check, the blanking plug part no I've found is N0160241 for a M10 plug, the seal needed for that is N0138115 and the seals for the two pressure sensors are N0138128.

12. rubjonny

yarp, the oil senders will have the seals on already so no need to buy those

13. Rooster

Rooster Paid Member Paid Member

Resurrecting an old thread, I have an ABF in a Mk2 16v GTI. Car starts fine and idles but when you Rev over 3k rpm the light flashes on the dashboard and the buzzer sounds on the dash. I have a VDO gauge which is also not working. This sounds like I may have refitted the connections the wrong way around when dismantling the front end to replace the battery tray