ABF swap into a 1990 Jetta TX

Discussion in '16-valve' started by juli0s, Jul 30, 2009.

1. juli0s Forum Member

...looking at my gearbox I think i'm missing the clutch release bearing - to be honest I know very little about how it all works, but something isn't right...

does anyone have any photos of the inside of bellhousing (preferably of an 02a) so i can see what it should looks like?

cheers

2. richard s Forum Member

i fitted the 1.3 speedo cable on mine and i think its a bit to long i think its about 1400mm long and could do with being 11-1200mm
    there is a cable for a toledo abf so should be a direct fit and i have seen one on vagcat for a polo that looks like it will fit but havnt tried either as winter kicked in and i left the car and havnt really touched it since

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

passat/corrado cable speedo one should work too, if you can find one

4. juli0s Forum Member

....does anyone know the correct fuel hose internal diameter?

I've measured it roughly at 8mm using the injector rail and fuel filter - but looking on t'ebay i see there's also 7.6mm available...

5. rubjonny

7mm is the i/d for the hose, but 7.6 should be close enough, just make sure you get some decent fuel line clips :)

if i was you though I' try to get the correct abf fuel lines as they're shaped nicely and stiff, plus have a handy little clip that holds the 2 lines and the breather pipe together neatly. I may even have a pair of these spare, though iirc they might have been cut down a little...

6. juli0s Forum Member

thanks rubjonny - I've actually got about 10 inches of the ABF lines still attached to the injector rail - I just need new hose to connect the main line and return to the tank... I'm thinking 6metres should cover it - sound about right to you?

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

GSF sell 7mm ID fuel injection hose. Don't know what the quality is like though.

8. rubjonny

yeah i recon 6m should be enough chap, do you have the old carby lines kicking about to measure?

9. mattingg Forum Member

Hi, got the engine running yet? I'm doing an ABF converswion too and would be good to hear how you got on?

10. juli0s Forum Member

Hi all,

The loom is now fitted in the right place - going through the bulkhead behind the servo (very fiddly). I've wrapped the loom in insulating sheet where it goes above the exhaust manifold. I'm also thinking i'll need to insulate the cables changes for the 'box as these run very close to the exhaust downpipe. The ECU fits nicely in the glovebox, with a hole cut in the side for the loom. The immobilser box and wiring is all hidden up inside the dash, with the OBD port accessable via the ash tray.

Had to buy a replacement exhaust manifold as my attempts to drill out the sheared stud in the old one didn't quite do to plan. Got a KR manifold off a corrado and it fits perfectly.

New clutch is fitted, together with the cable pushrod and support bracket. Speedo and clutch cables both fitted.

Made up some 5mm steel plates to move the rear engine mount arm up about 20mm - this will drop the engine down by this amount , so fingers crossed the bonnet will actually close when its in! (I didn't want to start cutting the bonnet )

Currently working on the driveshafts - the old shafts had the smaller 90 mm inner flanges which don't fit the 02a box, so I'm in the process of swapping my TDI 100mm inner CVs onto the jetta's driveshafts. Hopefully this will work and i'll just need to put some new gaitors on for good measure.

Next stage will be to put the 'box and engine back together and lower back into the car. then it'll be a case of plumbing it all back in and connecting up the wiring. The only major parts i think i need to get it running are the MK3 fuel tank and a battery.

couple of questions;

1) I swapped some GTI clocks into the jetta as originally it had no rev counter - works fine but the low coolant warning light flashes constantly (jetta has no sensor for this) - any tips to turn this off without having to dismantle the clocks?

2) ..not sure yet but i'm sure there will be one!

matting - I'll do my best to answer any questions - but you may have noticed Rubjonny is the ABF guru!

11. rubjonny

you cant just swap 100mm c/vs onto 90mm shafts, you need proper MK2 100mm shafts. Corrado non-VR will work tyoo as will some models of SEAT (make sure its not wide track basically)

as for level sensor, did you convert the whole car to 90spec loom or did you splice the wiring into the old fusebox plugs?

12. juli0s Forum Member

the jetta was a 1990 model (hazards on top of steering column) so it was the later type...

ok the drive shafts might need further thought - do they have to be corrado? I've read some posts where people have used mk2 golf gti driveshafts with an 02a box...?

...just remembered my other question - i want to remove the oil cooler housing that the filer screws into (i'm planning on mocal type cooler) .

am i right in thinking i can just screw this off? I've tried to do so but it feels like its going to break!

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  13. rubjonny

you have a bit of a weird one then, since you have the early shape coolant reservoir! did you keep the level sensor plug that I pointed out to you earlier? if so easiest thing to do is bridge the 2 pins together. If you chopped the plug off find the ends and connect them together, or go backto the fusebox and join pins C/5 and C/8 together

yeah you can use MK2 shafts, I did say that in my post [:D]

theres a nut holding the cooler on, remove that and it falls right off.

14. juli0s Forum Member

....question re the fuel rail- there's a little device which I assume is the fuel pressure regulator on the top of the rail - it has a small pipe outlet on it - is this a vacuum hose? what should it connect to?

cheers ;)

15. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Yes a vacuum hose. needs to connect onto the inlet. think that one connect to the one betwwen the inlet tubes.

16. juli0s Forum Member

ok thanks.

Whilst i think of it, theres also a pipe outlet on the ECU - what does this connect to?

17. rubjonny

can just about see the connection for the FPR on the fuel rail, its a nipple that pokes out near spark plug #1. there should be one right at the front of the inlet that goes to a nipple on the breather, and 1 last vacuum connection to the ecu. this is either a nipple on the back of the inlet, or to one of the nipples on the brake servo hose depending on the age of the inlet you have

[​IMG]

18. juli0s Forum Member

..ok just got the engine back in...
    [​IMG]

rubjonny - did you have to modify the underside of the bonnet at all ? (which subframe did you use?)

19. rubjonny

MK2 subframe and engine mounts, no modification to the bonnet :)

20. juli0s Forum Member

ok i'm having some problems with the clutch cable - can't figure out how to compress the auto adjustment mechanism?

I've done it before but I can't get it to compress again... do i need to line up the mechanism in a certain way? Any one got any ideas?

cheers