ABF timing belt marks/wear

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Mk2daz, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

I fitted this timing belt about 7000 miles ago to my scirocco thats running an ABF, I'm not really concerned as i know the belt still has many many miles left in it but im a bit curious as to what might cause this mark going down the middle of the belt?

The car runs great with no strange noises from the belts and as far as i can remember i set the belt so i could only just about turn it 90 degrees by hand.

Is it too tight? or is this mark nothing to be worried about?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

The tensioner has a groove around it, this mark you always get on VW cam belts 8v & 16v

Tristan likes this.
  3. 2swe Forum Member

IIRC 90° cam belt twist is for 8v engines, 16v timing belt should not go past 45°..
    do you have spring loaded tensioner (M8 nut) or old style tensioner (m10 nut) ?

GVK likes this.
  4. Mk2daz

Thank you both, I never thought about the tensioner groove, thats re-assuring to know!

I'll recheck the belt and tensioner type, its definetly tighter than 90 degreees but probably looser than 45

Thanks

5. Mk2daz

Checked this over today, i have M10 nut tensioner and the belt is actually closer to 45 degrees than 90 so all in all im happy with it.

Thanks for the comments!

dodgy likes this.