ABF - Trouble starting after 18mth sitting

Discussion in '16-valve' started by MJA, Feb 13, 2021.

1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys,

I've got 2.0 16v ABF in a Golf. The car has done 78k and was running 18mths ago but struggling to get it going. It's coughing to life momentarily and getting up to idle but immediately shutting off.

So far I have:
    -checked fuel is getting to the engine - yes but its a bit yellow
    -pulled the spark plugs (bit sooty) and checked a spark could be seen on cranking against the manifold
    -Cleaned the gearbox earth as it was rusty
    -I'm getting 11.3v when I backprobe the coil on ignition. I have 12.4v at the battery on rest.
    -I've pulled the top timing cover off and the belt is not cracked and i can read the writing but it will be getting changed.

I've got a coil and some new sparks on order just in case.

Here's a video of it trying to start

and here's pic of the engine - i think the HT leads are routed ok looking at other engines?

[​IMG]

Cheers for any help :)

Matt

2. MJA

New spark plugs arrived in the post and have improved things - it will rev to 2k rpm (sounds smooth - phew!) but dies. I'm hoping it is the coil which is also on its way today fingers crossed!

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

next step get vagcom plugged in. the ignition leads dont look all that great especially the randsom missmatched king lead. bosch or beru is what you want, mk2/corrado/passat/mk3 1.8 or 2.0 16v sets all same. I usually shop here:
    http://www.vwspares.co.uk

4. MJA

Cheers, yeah I'll grab some proper branded components. Need a cambelt kit as well so will get that list together for VW spares.

I think i might have found the problem - there's another aspect I hadn't really thought about or mentioned above. The car was sold as a project and was missing its drivers door lock and the cowling around the steering column is also removed. The igntion barrel is new. I had a look at the keys in my hand and realised they're non-transponder basic keys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a couple of lock barrels included in the sale addressed to the original owner of the car. I am guessing here that the original owner lost their keys, got this generic ignition set up installed but the car wouldn't start and sold it on. The chap I had it off had lost interest as had other projects.

I've bought an immobilisor delete chip for the ECU to go down this path. I plan to get an aftermarket cat 1 style alarm fitted (mainly for remote locking tbh as well as security).

5. MJA

Yay solved! It was the immobilisor. I installed a delete in my ECU and she's up and running. Bit of a blow from the exhaust..upgrade time i guess shame there isn't much about though.