ABF Turbo Help!

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Gavin Timmins, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Gavin Timmins New Member

Hi guys,
    Been lurking around a while reading the good info till I got my own project..

MK1 GTI 83
    Mechanical Side all done...
    ABF fitted
    Forged pistons.
    Rods
    ARP bolts
    Holset HX30
    Uprated fuel pump, lines and injectors
    Inlet manifold..
    External Waste gate
    Crank Sensor
    Exhaust
    VR6 clutch,
    Coilovers
    100mm shafts

You all probably know the usual shopping list...

Now we come to electrics and wiring.. Not my cup of tea at all!!! Plus I bought this as a project and the previous owner must have got snip happy with wires...

I'm running a megasquirt MS1 V3... Installed and happy with loom been done right... Seemed simple

Then I get out of my depth...
    Is there anything I need to keep from ABF loom? Or can I simply use MK1 to fuse box CE1 and run all the normal things temp sesors, gauges, lights etc using MK1?
    I am presuming within reason the megasquirt just needs power and looks after engine?

Cheers in advance for any help,
    Timmy

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hello there :)

Yes the megasquirt loom just handles the engine side of thing, it will need some power and earth feeds from fusebox plus a trigger wire to your fuel relay if you want to use the factory socket and wiring, or it;'ll have its own fuel relay which you wire to the pump.

get a standard mk1 engine loom and split out any engine specific wiring leaving the wiper plug, starter motor, dash sensor wires. there will probably be a couple ignition lives on the engine plug you can make use of for relay triggers, and if you want the factory fuel wiring to work run the ecu trigger to D/13 and fit a 67/80/167 fuel relay in slot 2

for rev counter this depends how the ecu was built or what spark control setup you've gone for

3. Gavin Timmins New Member

Rubjonny.. Thank you...

Confirming what I thought... Some people have said to me about splicing looms to ABF... And just didnt make sense...

It would if I want using megasquirt

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin