ABF Turbo with 20vt management

Discussion in '16-valve' started by slimwadey, Sep 29, 2019.

1. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

Hi .
    I'm currently rebuilding a 1986 mk2 16v and while the repairs are going well i have been thinking of the engine, as much as part of me says keep the KR, a much bigger part remembers the awesome rush of a turbo. so i'm thinking of fitting an ABF and adding a turbo.
    I'm considering using a 20vt management system, mainly due to costs and the ease of finding people capable of tuning them.
    I would be using the sensors and loom from an AUM style engine , DBW throttle body and pedal.
    Coil on plug, ECU etc.
    The ABF has a crank sensor in the same place as the 20vt and has the knock sensors too i believe.
    So in theory. the 20vt stuff should work.
    It goes without saying the vvt wont be used.
    I dont expect it to all fit and work straight away. there will no doubt be challenges .
    I can buy a distributor blank.
    Will it work ? i cant see a reason for it not too, but i'm far from an ABF expert.
    Questions i have are .
    Can an external wastegate be controlled by an n75 valve? or better to use an internal WG turbo ?
    Can i use a 20vt filter housing for the oil take off for turbo? if no what would be the best way to supply oil to turbo?

Sure Standalone management would be great , but with Emerald starting at around £600 and the Ignitron even more , they are out of my reach.
    After all VAG spent tons of dosh on developing the ME7.5 so why not try to utilise it?

Your thoughts please good or bad.
    Thanks
    Steve

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you would need a VR6/ABA VR crank pulley as ABF one is hall effect.

apart from that it should work, there are 20v out there without VVT so you just turn that off. You will need to fit a hall sensor in the head to keep the ecu happy, there is a custom one available one off the shelf somewhere for this exact purpose though I forget who supplies it?

turbo oil supply is easy, just take it off from one of the oil filter holes same as the G60 does and also the 20v for that matter. coolant supply if you need it VW factory method is replace one of the core blocks round the back with one which has coolant nipple on, turbo diesel and Audi use them dirt cheap and easy to get.

boost control go with same setup as factory 20v or go aftermarket route whatever floats your boat

erreesse likes this.
  3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Glad to see you are coming where the answers are, as opposed to asking randomly on faccy.

While John is trying help from what has been shared publicly, I can say, no purpose built ABF engine was created by just 'adding a turbo'. That is the first misconception you have.

From a engine control perspective, I get what you are saying control wise and what you see as 'cheap', but, like the hardware, unless you have the know how, tools or the time to see the completion of such a project, you are better off purchasing a DTA or Emerald as it works out hassle free.

And that is from me, who on this forum knows hell of a lot about Motronic systems from the 1980s to current and of course have championed the ABF engine on here.

Get your Monza project car running and MOT'd first, drive it and see how you get on.