ABF wiring diagrams

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Eires, Feb 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Eires New Member

So I have my car up and running, just trying to figure out a few more loose ends on the electrical front.

My Check Engine Light does not operate. From the looks of things, it is not even getting power. I've looked through the a3 wiring diagrams to try and trace it to the fuse box as I believe that's where the issue is (since I had everything unplugged from it). I cannot seem to find the complete check engine light circuit on the wiring diagrams. Does anyone have any info on this?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

The Euro ABF engine doesn't have a pin for the check light, so chances are it wont work even if you knew what ECU pin to wire it to :(

The ABA ECU check light is pin 5 for early and 3 for late, so you could give these a go but as they're different architectures no telling if ABF check light if it even works is on either of those pins though the ABF and ABA pinouts are similar.

Looking at 'golf94.pdf' in my signature, the check light is wired from ecu pin 5 to G1/9, which feeds U1/9 on cluster loom to pin 20 on the clocks. Golf97.pdf shows the same except its fed from pin 3 on the ECU

3. Eires New Member

So are you saying that the Euro 16v GTI's dont have a check engine light? I guess another question then would be does the ABF ecu have diagnostic capability?

Thanks for the other info. I'll look on those files.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Yep, it has diagnostics but no check light for us.

You use vagcom/vcds cable same as you would US spec cars, wiring is same you have the grey/white k-line wire from ecu to fusebox area then it either goes to diagnostics jumper block or to the immobiliser box depending on age