About time too - GVK head + cams job!

Discussion in '16-valve' started by GVK, Jun 18, 2004.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I was thinking of either spending money on wheels or an exhaust as mine vibrates (scorpion poo) Then I sat and thought this morning that I can get a head for similar money which will make a *real* difference to the car, both in performance and oil consumption :lol:

On the phone to the head man and went over to his little place in the Midlands this afternoon and picked up a flowed 16v head for 'a good price' :) It's the same guy Tub's has bought his head from - He doesn't advertise and doesn't need to as he has plenty of work -One head he had in the workshop today was from VW racing UK's R32 after doing 5 laps at Snett with a bust rad :clap: Bent like a 'nana [:s]

[ historic mode on ] He's been doing these VW 16v heads since 1986 when GTI engineering went over to Germany and bought back a LHD 16v, He flowed the head for them and it made + 15bhp, he's been doing them ever since.[ / historic mode ]

[​IMG]

More pics,whilst it's clean
    Edited by: G_V_K

2. seth223uk Forum Member

nice! bet u cant wait to try it out now ;) is it that place in bromsgrove by any chance?

3. GVK

Not really my place to give his details over a public forum, he's just a one man band that does heads - He gets his business through word of mouth, myself and Tubs were introduced to him at Donington at the VW cup round :)

4. seth223uk Forum Member

looks like a sorted head. When are you putting the head on GVK?

5. GVK

This weekend if I can get my KR rocker cover off a mate,the 9A one is different IIRC [:$]
    Got genuine VAG head gasket, ordered bolts and cam belt today and a couple of other gaskets to do the job.

Will use the cams that are in the car at the moment ( Stealth Exhaust cam modded as inlet)

Car needs a clutch before going on the rollers, got the clutch, getting a flywheel lightened and balanced up too.
    Edited by: G_V_K

6. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

does he do 20v heads, does he have them in stock ?

7. davidwort Forum Member

Would be good to meet you at stealth sometime GVK, my engine is just on 300 miles after fitting a brand new 6A bottom end and I use a KR head that has just been completely stripped and cleaned, but I originally had it ported and polished about 30,000 miles ago, the firm that did it was recommended by my dad as someone he had worked with for years (my dad was GTI Engineering's service manager for about 13 years from 1981!)
    My head has KR cams in it and I would like to get it on stealths rollers at some point.

David.

8. prof Forum Addict

wow nice one Gary :clap:

get over to VINCE asap and we'll see the results. a wise decision i reckon, better than wheels and exhaust.

9. smithy Forum Member

nice one GVK, cant wait to see the rr results!

10. coullstar Forum Member

I know you say its going to give +15bhp but what about torque? Will this generally bring the torque down the rev range a bit as I am getting a bit p***** off with having to thrash my car to get it to move.

11. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Should add torque everywhere I guess but maybe take a little away right at the bottom of the rev range.

Can anyone host a sig file for me?

12. altern8 Forum Junkie

looking good are you ment to breakin a new head ?

13. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

G_V_K can you PM me wi the guys details as I'll be looking for an 8V BVH at some point in the near future?
    And I aint payin TSR prices! :lol:

14. Dubya Forum Junkie

Is the bloke near a place called Maxstoke?

15. davidwort Forum Member

It's incredibly difficult to increase torque without increasing capacity (and without forced induction), just look at VVT engines, might rev to 8000rpm but max torque is not much different to any 1.6-2.0L engine. You can alter where the torque peaks in the rev range with various changes to the induction system and head but a good gas flowed head should make the engine more efficient over the whole rev range. It's just that it tends to provide a greater improvement as you go up the rev range. You will never really alter the basic characteristics of the vw 16v engine but you can give it more oomph everywhere. IMO it will always feel like it only really gets going at 4,000rpm unless you build a very long stroke and flat cammed engine, if you like that sort of drive then put a diesel engine under the bonnet!

David.

16. jaistanley Forum Member

That's a relief.. Looks just like mine did when I 'DIY flowed' it.. Used common sense to do it. Was worried I'd done something different but looked just like your piccies. Cool.

Let us know how it goes..

Just had mine off after 30k miles cos I've got to re-build the bottom end... clean as a whistle! Woohoo..

Jai

17. trendy tramp Forum Member

gary, i was expecting this thread to be about some hair replacement treatment like Elton John :lol:

tt

18. chrismc Forum Junkie

Well done Gary!!

Should be pushing the power & torque figures up a wee bit more with that!! ;)

Looks very nicely finished! [:D]

19. prof Forum Addict

accelerating hair loss....need a slower car :lol:

20. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I thought he was wanking people off for cash.....