Accelerator cable - Weber 32/34

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Max Wailes, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Max Wailes New Member

Hi all,

I’ve got a MK2 golf with a 1.6 running a Weber 32/34 DMTL. After my MOT last Autumn, my accelerator cable started sticking in the middle of its travel but it would still go all the way through the travel with a small bump in the middle.

Eventually this turned into it sticking slightly depressed and not passing the middle point at all, I’ve tried refitting the original and replacing it with new but both are too tight and I can’t figure it out.

Anyone had this and know a fix?

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Have you tried lubricating the pedal bar under the dash, Allie's golf had sticky non returning accelerator so I immediately thought cable, stripped, inspected, greased and was still doing the same so then sprayed the spindle points near the pedals and sorted it.

3. Max Wailes New Member

I’ll certainly give it a go but even when I manually lift the pedal so the hooked end of the cable is into the firewall grommet I don’t have enough slack on the other end to hook it into the carb

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

post up some pics of the carb, possibly its had wrong kit of parts put on when conversion was done

5. Max Wailes New Member

[​IMG]
    it has the same linkage as this, it worked fine for about a year on the same cable which is why I’m a bit confused as to why it won’t fit now.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hows the ribbes section sit ion the retainer? you can bend the throttle pedal arm easy enough, but usually it would end up too loose rather than too tight

7. Max Wailes New Member

so if I have the pedal hooked up (new bushing) I can’t get the end into the holder at the top of the arm with the ribs pulled as for through as I can. Am I missing something really obvious here?