ACKTIV wiring pin out on male plug "B" ?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by watercooled, Jun 22, 2022.

1. watercooled Forum Member

Trying to tidy up my factory stereo wiring as some butcher has been in there,have fitted up a new A and B plug ISO plug conversion loom to my Blaupunkt head unit ,pretty straight forward to that point but on the factory loom male side "B" the wires have not got a 100% match up to the female "B'' plug wires ???.
    The door panel speakers were original ACKTIV ones but were blown out so replaced them with JBL's and ran new wires which were independant of the "B" female as that wiring was chopped off the plug anyway and they work fine.
    The top dash speakers will not be used so I only require the rear JBL plate speakers to work ,have all the wire colours pretty much sorted,can anyone put me on to a link for the male "B" pin out as factory install for early Corrado ? cant seem to find anything so far TIA ,cheers.

2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm likely building your hopes up falsely, so don't be expecting the answer you're after...

There is something way down deep in my memory about one of the factory plugs having a pin swopped about for very late models of MK2, so might affect other similarly aged VW's.

Odd question, but do you or someone you know read German?

I ask because I've the VW owners manual for the Gamma (not the Activ, but I think the head units were similar) and I'm nearly sure that's where I saw the reference (by laboriously typing into Google translate)

It was years ago that I looked into it but will try to find it again for you (in German though!)

3. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

As I thought, probably on the wrong track - seems it was something to do with using pin 4 and 7 to allow older sets to be used with the newer loom, but still maybe worth investigating.

Google translation -

"...note on vw gamma

switch the device on/off

in all older vw models without ignition switch wiring, by connecting contacts 4 and 7 of the plug, see sketch, automatic switch-off can be prevented in regular operation"

Did find some old images of my cars factory plugs that I'd taken for something else, may be useful to cross ref. wire colours with your own etc.

gamma black plug.JPG

gamma brown plug.JPG

gamma extra.JPG

gamma plug wire colours.JPG

gamma set sicker.JPG

gamma zoom plus.JPG

gamma zoom.JPG

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Yeah on VW ISO plugs the live and switched feeds are opposite to the ISO standard, that and up to around 89ish most didnt have a switched live. so its saying to loop between these pins to get the radio to turn on

got some corrado diagrams normal (ignition/starter switch from radi pin 4 goes to terminal SU 'key-in-ignition' live):
    corradoradio.gif

aktiv
    corradoaktiv1.gif corradoaktiv2.gif

5. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks guys,mine used to have the factory Blaupunkt old school deck with cassette player,same as the UR Audi ,I know this because I sold it to a UR owner and he had it repaired.
    RJ my female black "A" plug has all functions correct to the cars male "A" plug ,after that the ''B'' plug male has a real mismatch,colours appear correct but pinout is mostly wrong !!.
    Zender thanks for all the pics,the plugs you show have differant pin outs, I guess that's because they plug direct into the deck,pretty the original deck had this so that seems to make sense .
    A bit stumped what to do here,my interest to retain an un-chopped harness has bit me in the ass basically as to get this right the only solution appears to be chop the wiring @ the male ''B" plug and merge those to the female plug pin out on my adaptor harness.
    Another option maybe to release the spade pins in the female plug and swap them around to match the male plug...most likely better as then I haven't defeated the purpose of this time consuming exercise :(.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you can buy vw iso 'adaptors' all it is it swaps the live and ignition feeds for you. I bought one from halfords back in the day which was a bit of a waste of money :lol: you can use the B plug from that and do the switcharoo as required. personally though I'd just repin the B plug to standard VW layout. Make a note just in case you ever decide to swap back to the original type deck I guess.

check the wire colours on each speaker as well just to confirm they have the right colours to each corner

7. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks RJ ,appears pins 1,2 and 7,8 are transposed on the male "B" plug ,3,4 and 5,6 don't matter as I have independent wiring to door side pockets in the front ,made the loom adapter up this way when I changed to the JBL's so its staying like that and looks tidy enough with soldered wire and crimped bullet connectors instead of shitty chocolate blocks :thumbd:.

8. watercooled Forum Member

Couldn't remove pins on adapter plug or the factory male ends ,for all my little pin release tools I had nothing that worked,solution was to cut solder and heatshink them in the right polarity so plug B that is sorted,plug A I thought was ok but wasn't and sorry to RJ as he mentioned that earlier in the replies anD I cocked that up.
    Working around that because I have spend so much time on this I have run out of swearing and now only have an earth to sort as I now have switched and live to the plug then to unit....with me luck .

9. watercooled Forum Member

Ran new earth to LH strut tower as it was proper lol,did basic test and all working except rh door but i have the whole door panel off anyway.
    Just need to route wire and loom and tie it up then with underdash panels on then job done :thumbup:.

10. watercooled Forum Member

Got the system dialed in yesterday and pretty good sound for a mid range system,did the following;
    mounted genuine " bee sting " aerial and wired down LH side pillar to headunit,
    fitted NOS Blaupunkt Buenos Aires 200,
    rear new JBL plate speakers P6452 4X6 150w peak,
    front door panels,new JBL GT6-5 105w peak.
    Was lucky as a trader on one of our auction sites was trying to sell off Blaupunkt NOS head units as a job lot,they relisted several times and I got a deal for 2 headunits so got this one plus a Blaupunkt London for 300NZD.
    Well pleased to have this done...now on to next job [:D].