Agg replacement gearbox options

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by mrglee, Jul 7, 2020.

1. mrglee Forum Member

Going to change the clutch when I get time but as the old gearbox whines and a tooth missing from the reverse idler might as well change the box
    At the moment have a che box should be dfq? As far as I know both have the same ratios are there any differences between these and any other that will fit with no hassle.
    1996 8v GTi agg.

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Get the box sent off to Martin aka Hotgolf at Gas N Gears.

3. mrglee Forum Member

This is a daily used car and I need it to get to work plan was to pick up a cheap box might even get lucky and get a good one but this then would give the option to have my old box reconditioned or exchanged.
    Amc Che and dfq all have the same ratio's is there a reason why there identified differently?.

4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you've already bought a clutch you'll want another 2.0 8v gearbox or a mk2 16v one, as the input shaft is larger. If not you can get mk2 8v boxes but bear in mind if its a later mk3 GTI you'll need a late mk3 1.8 8v clutch to go with it since they have a different flywheel to early mk3 and mk2. or you could get a mk2 flywheel then you can use a mk2 8v clutch kit. mk1/2 and early mk3 flywheel has 2 locating dowels, later mk3 have 1 dowel and are slightly heavier.

or another option you could keep the pressure plate to match your flywheel and buy a mk2 kit, then swap the friction disc over instead. put the mk3 2.0 friction disc in the mk2 clutch kit then you've made a mk2 16v clutch kit :)

6. mrglee Forum Member

Cheers guys yes I already bought a clutch kit.
    I can't find any Che boxes but found a few dfq's specs match che can you confirm that this is good for a straight swap?.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep CHE and DFQ like for like swap :)