Agu engine need some advice

Discussion in 'Engines' started by jason3249, Apr 10, 2021.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hmm. which pins did you loop to bypass, the big ones?

For diagnostics its dead simple. live to 16, earth to 4 and k-line to pin 7 from ECU pin 19 as you said post 1.

I've seen AGU ecu failed exactly the way you describe, no comms, no fuel relay trigger. might be a bad immo off flash

jason3249 likes this.
  2. jason3249 New Member

Yer I've tried that rubjonny and it doesn't work I've emailed the loom man yesterday

Yep both big ones on the fuel pump relay

I also emailed the man who decoded the ECU took the immobiliser an out out he wrote back saying he had no problems with it

But would it run with a bad ECU [:[]

3. rubjonny

thing is if you have your ignition, perm live and earth thats literally all you need for diagnostics, you could have the whole main sensor loom unplugged and you would still be able to talk to the ecu. so if you know the cable is definitly ok, port wired up right and you have those main feeds to ecu not a lot else it can be

4. jason3249 New Member

I can't work it out I've tried it all getting worried it's down to the engine loom I had done...

So I worked it out today you remember yesterday I got it to spark because the loom man said to take the fuel relay out and bypass it with a bit of wire and I got a spark and it all went to 12-volt and the loom man said it sounds like your fuel relay is bad WELL

So today I was wiring it all in and waiting for the new fuel pump relay to show up then I noticed it on the fuel pump relay there's 4 pins well on the plug you push the relay into that's when I noticed pin 4 aka pin 86 there was no wire going to it so I took abit of wire and wired pin 86 to the positive terminal on the battery and boom the voltage went back to 12v and had spark and now when I turn the key to ignition on the fuel pump primes then shuts off after a couple of seconds like it's meant to so yer there was nothing wrong with the relay I brought, it's the loom man who forgot to wire up pin 4 aka pin 86......

So I wired up pin 86 to a ignition live now it all works no need to bypass the relay anymore so if there's wires missing and the loom hasn't been done right then that could be why the obd2 socket doesn't work and most probably will never work because the loom man must of rushed it and cut corners gutting really :cry::cry::cry:

5. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

Fair play for sticking with it and sussing it out yourself. Get out and put a few miles on it to reset you and the car. Leave the diagnostics port for another day.

jason3249 likes this.
  6. rubjonny

well that was silly :lol:

It still wouldnt stop your diagnostics though since you checked your ecu main feeds already, as I say all ecu cares about for diagnostics is ignition live to pin 1, perm live pin 3 and earth pin 2 plus your K-line to pin 19. I've powered up ecu on the bench loads of times without them even being on a car

jason3249 likes this.
  7. jason3249 New Member

So rubjonny it's not power 16, ground 4, and k line 7 that's what I've been doing and doesn't work.....

Thanks rubjonny, so your saying, pin 1 ignition live, and permanent live to pin 3, and earth pin 2, and k line is pin 19... Its getting exciting again I hope it works please please please work.....

Davkav wish it was that easy lol still got exhaust and drive shafts to build [:v:]

8. rubjonny

my post above is for the AGU ECU pins, vagcom port is as you say live to 16, earth to 4 and kline pin 7

9. jason3249 New Member

Here's a picture bud the cut wire is the original k line wire

When I got the loom back from the loom man he tagged a wire with the word k line on it so I went to the obd2 socket and I cut the original wire going to pin 7 then I ran the wire from the k line on the modified loom the k line what the Loom man tagged as k line and it didn't work I got linking error

So then I twisted the original k line wire and the k line iv just ran from the k line the loom man put so I twisted them together and yep still didn't work

So then someone said bypass the loom man's k line and tape in to pin 19 is it well I did tapped in to the pin 19 on top of the ecu and I still get linking error

I just can't work it out running out of ides to try :cry:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  10. jason3249 New Member

Here's another picture bud of the diagnostics I'm using it's only a cheapy, still haven't tried the vagcom I brought from ebay because I can't find a cheap enough laptop :thumbd:

Attached Files:

11. jason3249 New Member

rubjonny you still there, is anyone there I can't cope anymore :cry::cry::cry:

12. rubjonny

wiring all good then, so either ecu is bad or your code reader doesnt support the AGU ecu diagnostic protocol. know anyone at all who has a laptop you can borow?

13. jason3249 New Member

I've just brought another laptop for this vagcom I'm in the middle of trying to install it all this will be fun lol

If the ecu was bad would it still start because

it starts and wants to Idle and the throttle body makes noises etc so the ecu must be ok surely, then the k line wire if there was a problem with the loomman's k line or the loom I've bypassed it already by trying pin 19 straight out of the ecu.....

so what else can it be it's very very odd unless pin 19 isn't the actual k line wire must be a different wire for the k line hmmmm [:s]

14. rubjonny

19 is your diagnostics pin, its also known as the 'w-line' but that just refers to it being the communication wire between the ecu and the cluster, then the cluster has a k-line wire off to the port. All the clocks do is direct the comms from ecu straight to the port when you want to scan it though

15. jason3249 New Member

I've worked it out lose connection in the k line plug well happy now thanks rubjonny :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    davkav likes this.