AGU with stage 2 map, but not producing enough power

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by rubjonny, Mar 25, 2014.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Right then AGU experts! A mate of mine has just finished building an AGU MK2 Golf, with OEM management. He has had a 'stage 2' map put on his ECU but its not quite producing the power it should, its almost there but not quite.

Now spec wise it has a K03s, a 4 bar FPR and some saab injectors 35.5 lb/hr and 373.1 cc/min I think were fitted but he may have switched to the stock injectors with the 4 bar FPR its hard to keep track :lol: its got a VR6 MAF housing with the AGU sensor swapped in and the carbon system has been deleted. apart from that its pretty much stock std BOV and N75 all on there etc.

Now the guy who put the map on it reckons he should be seeing 18psi, the most we can get is 16psi peaks and it tends to bleed off down to 12-14 while the throttle is floored and it just doesnt seem like there is enough power for a stage 2.

here are some measuring block logs running up and down a stretch of dual carriageway. they are not all of the same run so you cant directly compare all 3 together in case that isnt clear:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_V9-6xfgGlIMmR3dWl6TnNueWs/edit?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_V9-6xfgGlIbEV6Tzk4NHJWREU/edit?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_V9-6xfgGlIT2RqbkFGdXk1WjA/edit?usp=sharing

From what I can see the AFRs are all good, but the MAF is showing a bit low g/s for a stage 2. I understand we should see peak 170-180 from this kind of map but its not quite getting there. the other problem I can see is the N75 duty cycle is pegged at 99.6% which from what I have read isnt good, plus the actual load is too low. I found a post elsewhere that suggests we should see a higher actual load than the specified/corrected? Elsewhere my mate read the specified load should peak above 10 for a stage 2?

Bear in mind I'm a total novice at this stuff so I could be talking complete cobblers mind. While I'm here can anyone confirm the spec, corrected and actual load figures are showing boost levels from the ecu, or is it something else? mixed infos found on the internets? the mapper seems to think these values are not relevant...

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

If he has switched back to stock AGU injectors its not a good thing. Stock injectors are designed to flow 249cc at 3 bar, so if he's running these on a 4 bar fpr the fuelling will be out.

Out of interest, what fuel pump is he using on this ? Afaik, you need a 16v fuel pump when going higher with the power on these engines in a Mk2.

rubjonny likes this.
  3. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Does he have an AFR gauge ? That was really useful for me diagnosing my injectors were too small. No matter what we did to the fuelling on the map, the AFR went lean, showing they were maxxed out.

rubjonny likes this.
  4. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I need one on mine Nige. Something else added to the list :)

5. rubjonny

Alrighty just got off the phone, injectors are std agu so well have a look at those, need an AFR ideally as you say. Any comment on the logs?

6. Collie Forum Junkie

when i was running an agu i had it remapped it too was low on peak and holding boost. my actuator spring had gone a bit weak. i adjusted it very slightly , to get the stated figure.

rubjonny likes this.
  7. rubjonny

Ok latest news is he put another maf on and it seems much better, I had my doubts the maf would be at fault since the logs showed 'plausible' results thruout the tests but did think maybe it could fail and just read low at all points rather than go erratic. He still has a slight flat spot but I think we're getting there! will have to do some more logs but any further comments would be appreciated!

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

A couple things...
    Did he test this car on the same dyno that gave him the original power reading? How did he arrive at such a conclusion?

Sounds like the typical small KKK turbo characteristic. May want to check your wastegate tension which could help. Definitely has a map on it as the stock engine starts of at 9bar and could drop to 6psi at 6800 the redline.

9. rubjonny

thats the issue, no dyno was used at any point map is just a generic one and no custom tuning involved (yes, I know!)

The tuner recons his map should see 220 at least, plus 18psi. its not 220 bhp (or wasnt before the MAF was changed) you could tell from the feel of the car when driving it wasnt 220bhp more liek 180ish. dont get me wrong it was it was ooommggg!! when flooring it but not OOOOMMMMGGGG!! if that makes sense :lol:

Forgot to mention that after the MAF went on he was getting peak boost of around 20psi then dropping to 18, so that has helped. but then again he also just told me he has just put decent fuel in it as well filled from almost empty and that also made a big difference. so maybe now its got proper fuel its trimming back to a decent map where it was pulling back fuel trims before and maf was a coincidence?

What do you think of the logs eddie, and what about the N75 peakign at 99,6%? is that good or bad? seen peeps on teh internets saying thats bad, but the mapper recons thats good :lol: plus what exactly do the specified, requested and actual loads mean are they anything to do with boost as some say or nothing at all as the mapper says...

so much contradicting information out there its really hard to know what the actual facts are, I now know why I never really bothered to learn about boost :lol:

10. Toyotec

What does 220bhp feel like?

11. rubjonny

more than 180 :lol: yeah I get its a subjective feeling, but when we were out in it to me it didn't feel like it was quick enough to be 220, based on how my abf feels. plus the mapper also agrees it wasnt quite there. Main thing was when flooring it there wasnt much wheelspin really, he used to get more with the abf apparently.

anyway, the main point of this thread was to see if anyone could see if anything is obviously wrong based on the logs. Everywhere I looked have said for a stage 2 you should be seeing more g/s from the MAF than what we got out of it, seems to be supported by the fact the car is now a lot quicker with another one. We did find this calculation which recons you divide the g/s by 0.8 and it gives you a rough power output and apparently it is pretty close.

12. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Depends on torque :)

Best way to sort it would be get her on a dino

Toyotec likes this.
  13. rubjonny

yeah agreed, I did try and get him to take it for a proper remap where rollers are involved but what can you do. anyone see anything else from the logs that would require further investigation? basically we want to make sure everything is tip top sensor wise before going any further. We did think maybe weak actuator as collie said or maybe boost leak but as i say seems to be much better with the MAF, fingers crossed it was that and/or rubbish fuel

14. Toyotec

You need to take the thing to a dyno and then use VCDS to log on the rolls as well as looking at measured torque, boost, Lambda + listening for knock.
    Saying it feels like 180 or 220 bhp means very little, as you can have a 180bhp engine hitting 270lbft of torque and ramping of early or you can have a 220bhp engine hitting 250lbft and ramping off slowly. The 180bhp version of what I described would feel much more lively.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    rubjonny likes this.
  15. rubjonny

true enough I suppose, so there is nothing the logs that jumps out at you then? main thing is we dont want to have put it on some rollers only to be sent away again with 'this sensor is bust' or whatever. I think with the new maf and proper fuel we're all sorted though as all the other readings seem to be fine.

the only thing that we weren't sure about was the actuator and possibly the turbo as no easy way to test them with the equipment we have, whole car has been built out of the scrappy my mate works at see :lol: Hopefully now though since he is getting the boost levels expected that would suggest those things are ok.

I think he has finally accepted now that if you want it mapped, do it properly on a rolling road dont just bung a map in there and hope for the best!

Oh what about the injectors, before its mapped should we put the fpr back to 3bar, or change the injectors for the slightly more beeft saab, or both? or is it one of those 'oh, it depends' :lol:

16. Toyotec

Because it is on a remap, that has not been validated no.

17. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

With the 'he put better fuel in and goes better' comment, you should have been looking at the timing and 'cf' logs to see if it's 'pulling timing' (retarding timing to stop/reduce knock)

Group 10 IIRC (it's been a while)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    VR6T and rubjonny like this.
  18. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I liked that. :clap:

19. rubjonny

good point about the timing log, I'll be sure to check that next time. tbh its my own fault for assuming he had put decent petrol in there!

We only had 10 minutes or so of fiddling time before I had to put baby to bed so my vagcomming wasnt as strong as it could have been, I didnt check any other the other blocks at all we just zoned in on these 3 since we were assuming maf, n75 or mixture were the cause

then it was a case of try to google for cars with similar results as we didnt really know what we were looking at :lol: the main thing I was hoping for was some help understanding what the logs were showing me like yes maf seems low for stage 2, or no its fine for n75 to be maxed out or whatever since it seems just about every post we found on the internet had conflicting information :lol:

but never mind I think we are getting somewhere with it now and a proper map should sort it :thumbup:

20. Toyotec

I also looked at the fuel control logs and there are many times where lambda control is adding 25% extra fuel to maintain lambda 1.
    You either have a massive air leak or the map is designed for larger injectors and you are running smaller units.
    This really needs proper checking out by a professional...who can look at what was programmed on the EEPROM.