Airbag / Door wiring harness: Golf Plus 6

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by breeze, Mar 6, 2021.

1. breeze Forum Member

I’ve had an airbag light pop up a couple of times in the last few months. Car is a 2009 Golf Plus facelift. The code that I have had on my Ancel VD500 code reader is:

B101715: Crash sensor for sidebag (G179) driverside interruption/short to plus.

Scanning the Internet, it looks like the issue is the wiring to the G179 sensor in the door, caused by fatigue in the harness and an eventual break at the point that flexes when the door is opened.

Today I pulled back the harness cover and the attached is what I found.

Clearly somebody has been there before. Electrical tape around the connection, no solder. The connection underneath the electrical tape was OK, twisted together so as to make what I would expect to be good contact.

Question 1: Am I right in thinking the break is on the wire that goes to the airbag sensor? I normally expect yellow to be the SRS system so that would make sense. It looks like a short tail has been added in a different colour.

Question 2: Are the systems so sensitive that an ‘OK’ connection would cause a blip in the signal good enough to register a fault? I’m a fan of proper electrical connections but at the same time I wouldn’t expect the driveway antics there to cause a problem. Like I said, the connection under the tape was OK.

I didn’t have any shrink wrap at home so, for my sins, I simply taped it up.

I will go back in at some point and do properly. Which I appreciate was probably what the last owner said...

Attached Files:

2. breeze Forum Member

To add, I’ve just seen somebody on another forum say that the purple and brown at the other end of the connector are the ones that the crash sensor uses. Does anybody have a wiring diagram / pin outs so that I can cross check?

Would be much appreciated!

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

uploaded a diagram in my signature link, '5m1airbag.pdf' and yep its the purple and brown for the g179