Ajq in a mk2

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Adrian-mk2, May 16, 2023.

1. Adrian-mk2 New Member

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. Adrian-mk2 New Member

yeah thanks Had a good read of it last night definitely gunna give it a go doesn’t sound to bad, famous last words.

Last edited: May 21, 2023
  4. Adrian-mk2 New Member

Got the engine, ecu and harness engine seems ok. Just started looking at the loom, didn’t pay much attention to it when I picked it image.jpg up and it’s missing all the retaining clips for the plugs sick joke I reckon. Anyone know if you can buy the retaining clips or do I have to buy some cheaper looms and steal them

5. Adrian-mk2 New Member

Also more cut wires image.jpg

6. Adrian-mk2 New Member

Brown green go to ecu, blue and red go to brown plug blue and yellow at plug. Green goes to this plug image.jpg Black goes to ecu plug. I’m trying to find a pin out of this ecu

7. Adrian-mk2 New Member

Just reading another thread about early tts may not have ecu relay the engine came from a 2000 car, i don’t seem to have the large 2 pin plug with single white/red wire referred to in the oem wiring guide

8. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Time to go on a scrapyard visit and find a mk4 golf or similar and grab the clips and plugs.
    Unfortunately I don't think I've got a mk4 loom about anymore.

9. rubjonny

cut plug is post-cat lambda, which you'll be binning anyway after having it coded out of the ecu along with sai and the other unused stuff

5 pin with 4 pins in is maf, wont be connected to the 2nd lambda though it has the same wire colours. once you strip all the tape off it'll become more clear anyway

as you say depending on code/car it may not have the 428 ecu/coilpack relay, in that case wire it up like an AGU add your own relay for the coilpacks making sure to fuse it

10. Adrian-mk2 New Member

Ok thanks thought it may be lambda, a i had continuity on the green between the two plugs that’s why I thought it went to both, may have been my multimeter having a moment. Local scrap yard have a 99 tt in which is a bit of luck they aren’t sure what is left but if the looms there I’ll grab a complete “new” one from it with retaining clips still can’t believe they have all been taken off madness. I’ll grab all the other bits if they are still available too.

11. Adrian-mk2 New Member

Found another loom at the local scrap yard from a bam tt I believe was rushing to get it out after work before they shut so didn’t remember to check code. Also got clutch switch brake switch and plug couldn’t get full harness ran out of time. The throttle pedal is a remote type on the tt they have I’m guessing not the one I want from what I’ve seen online. The have loads of other stuff that may have it when I get a bit of time to go back in. This loom has the ecu relay box

12. Adrian-mk2 New Member

Would the bam and Ajq sensor harness be the same? Or shall I make good the Ajq harness with the bam bits to be safe
    Would rather use the bam one if possible its all in one piece

Last edited: May 22, 2023
  13. rubjonny

the earlier remote pedal actuator will still work if you have the matching loom for it, just a different method to mount it

the main thing with sensor harness is what side of the engine the throttle is on, and how the coilpacks are powered. some also have VVT and some not. fore the big plug half same thing with coilpack power, plus some have wideband and some narrow and the bam will have the egt plug

you'll need to decide what ecu you want to use then go from there, an early ecu wont work directly on late loom with 428 relay (not too hard to mod) plus a wideband ecu will need a wideband lambda. ecu with egt will need one adding if the loom hasnt got it or this feature coding out etc

14. rubjonny

on that note, on the original harness the cut lambda is the main pre-cat narrow band one actually as it has green and black wires, not the post cat

15. Adrian-mk2 New Member

Ok thank you, what would the long blue/yellow and single purple wires going down beside the lambda be for?

16. rubjonny

2 pin plug with blue/yellow and thin purple/red near the lambda is for the carbon canister, you can bin that off if its going into a car which didnt have one originally

17. Adrian-mk2 New Member

Is that the right diag port in need out of an 55 a3

Attached Files:

18. rubjonny

yep that'll do you fine

19. Adrian-mk2 New Member

Ok ideal. I have a 02j box and shifter coming in a week or two. Ordered a tt throttle pedal and loom should be here tomorrow, just need pedal box and a million little things no doubt. I Started messing with the loom. Ive read the wiring guide a few times and I’m stuck on one thing (so far), you said get rid of carbon canister but keep blue/yellow wire because it may come in handy. What I am I meant to use it on? Ive also got the correct engine mounts now, only thing is the turbo oil drain pipe is in the way of the rear engine mount, Anyone know the best way round this? I’ve Seen a Passat drain line on eBay that looks like it takes a more direct route to the sump from the turbo, the auq line goes right over to the right and back left again to the turbo I guess to miss the transfer box on a tt gearbox?

20. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

The oil drain was another reason I used a boost fabrication mount on back of engine as it clears much better, have seen the alloy ones ground to clear, but I've also seen them cracked if modded, perhaps a custom braided line would work?