AJQ Loom Conversion

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by ste03, Jul 31, 2016.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you're very welcome :)

pirrol likes this.
  2. rober_20vt New Member

Pirrol! Im spanish

my golf mk2 also mounts an ajq engine, we are doing the same swap jejeje, thank you very much for the info, the photos of flickr do not see me, could you upload it again? Where are you from?? I from Madrid

3. pirrol New Member

I'm glad it useful you my excel, all it was possible thanks to rubjonny, nowadays that excel has more modifications, How are you wiring your AJQ swap??? did you add a ECU relay or not??? if you want I send you a private message with my phone number and we works together about this thread, and we publised our conclusions for future swaps about AJQ engine code. Will be useful for other people.

4. rubjonny

5. pirrol New Member

Ive drawing a new NON ECU RELAY VERSION, I hope help you rober_20vt, I believe its correct.
    [​IMG]
    20vt AJQ NO ECU RELAY DBW
    by Ignacio Muoz Martin, en Flickr

ADDING ECU RELAY version has been posted previously for rubjonny.
    regards

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  6. pirrol New Member

hi guys!
    What relay can I use as an ECU relay??? OEM relay is 428, but maybe 53 could works?
    as you know I dont have relay 428. If both relays have the same diagram must be work... I believe.

7. rubjonny

any old switched relay will do you fine pretty much, the ecu & coils only wanta a 15a fuse so as long as the relay is rated for 20a or more no worries. I use 53 relays when making my looms when adding ecu relays, never an issue :thumbup:

pirrol likes this.
  8. pirrol New Member

Thanks rubjonny, Ill use 53 relay.
    I have been searching more info about ecu relay and I have found that.
    I need to check if my ECU has these pins previously, because this information is confuse, and if I need it, wiring these pins between ECU and ECU Relay.

T121/21 -> pin5/85 of J271(ECU RELAY)
    T121/121 -> pin2/87 of J271(ECU RELAY)
    1/30 loop to pin3/86 of J271(ECU RELAY). There J271(ECU RELAY) gets power (30). It is supplied via 10A fuse S10.

I need to join pin1/30 to 3/86? I dont understand why this loop.

following rubjonnys advise and this information I understool the following:

pin 30 ECU RELAY: Y spade(15A fuse)
    pin 85 ECU RELAY: T121/21 and GND, but I though that T121/21 are +12... I dont understand this...
    pin 87 ECU RELAY: T10i/8, T6m/1 and add T121/121
    pin 86 ECU RELAY: G1/4(add 10A or 15A fuse), or G2/4 (OEM fused), and add loop to ECU RELAY pin30? I think this loop are innecesary.

thanks and regards

9. rubjonny

ECU pin 21 is only used for factory fitted ecu/coil power relay, its the earth trigger from the ecu to switch on the relay. Since the ecu relay earth pin on these cars is switched on by the ecu, the live trigger pin 86 is looped into the permanent live feed.

for you, since your ecu loom didnt have a factory ecu relay chances are ecu pin 21 wont do anything so you need to wire it up as a standard ignition switched relay. the terminals on these relays are usually like so:
    30 - main input feed
    85 - earth trigger
    86 - live trigger
    87 - main output

so for you:
    30 - Y spade, with fuse
    85 - earth
    86 - G1/4 or G2/4
    87 - to ecu and coilpack power

pirrol likes this.
  10. pirrol New Member

Just as it is in you previous diagram, perfect!!!
    Thanks for your explanation, now I understand perfectly.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  11. rubjonny

you're welcome :)

12. chapulin New Member

Hello
    Im spanish too
    This wiring diagram is correct for non ecu AJQ???
    Its too easy to be true...
    regards

13. pirrol New Member

Hi chapulin I think so.... Maybe rubjonny could confirm you, I did this diagram previously but I add an ecu relay after that, and I didnt test it.
    I think that this non ecu relay diagram could work fine if you decide use it.

14. rubjonny

only thing I would add is that its probably not a good idea to change oem fuses for a bigger size i.e. if you used G2/4. It'll probably be ok, but we cant be sure what amp rating the circuit inside the fusebox can safely supply. G1/4 is another issue, without a fuse we dont know what its designed for either :lol:

what we can see is the AJQ ecu wiring diagram the ecu and coilpack power feed is fed by a 1.5mm2 wire, same as what VW used on G1/4 for the MK2/3 coil power. So we could assume from that it'll be ok, but definitely put a fuse inline with this wire though.

To be 100% safe I would always use an ECU/coil power relay anyway, as shown in my diagram you can then use the relay live feed fuse for the ecu/coil power circuit protection as well as the ecu permanent live circuit protection same as on later OEM looms rather than needing one for both :)

15. pirrol New Member

Hi guys!
    When Ill add a new ecu relay (53), can I remove OEM relay number 32??? If i dont need it...
    regards.

16. rubjonny

32 relay is only needed to power pin G1/10, if you aren't using this feed then you can remove it :)

pirrol likes this.
  17. pirrol New Member

In that case, relay number 32 is for scrap.:thumbup:
    Ill add my new ecu relay out of fuse box, in a new relay housing, as the mk4 oem ecu relay. Perfect
    Thanks again dear rubjonny

18. pirrol New Member

Hi guys!
    My mk2 AJQ its alive!
    I wired how rubjonny said me and it was a success.
    The only problem it was that throttle body non response, and I tried to move it with my hands and the engine plug off, after that didnt start again... could been broken throttle body?
    Id other throttle body previously but it was broken because donor car had and accident, I changed for my current TB witch has the same reference, both TB are from narrowband ECU.
    This weekend Ill wire VAGCOM port and try with TB alignment after deleting errors.
    someone has any other idea about this?
    thanks mates.

19. rubjonny

does the tb make any noises with the ignition on? might be a faulty or incorrect accelerator pedal. vagcom will help you diagnose it either way :)

20. pirrol New Member

Yes TB buzzed approximately 10 seconds, and them engine start corretly. I need to wire diag port and check fault codes. :thumbs up:
    I hope ecu is fine... Ill check lambda wiring too because I had read in some cases could has a wires damages.