Alternator and starter wires.

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Smithdog84, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Smithdog84 Forum Member

Just putting my wiring back in and have some questions regarding the alternator and starter wires.
    I have 3 thick wires which I’m unsure of. Well 2. I have one from + to starter.
    then there is one about 2 foot long from engine block with ring terminal on the end and middle. I’m assuming this is - but where does the ring in the middle connect to.
    And I have one thick wire from alternator. Is this + or -
    Want to make sure it’s wired up correct before I start the ignition.

thanks in advance.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the battery negative middle ring will go to the chassis somewhere, where exactly depends on what car it is. the one would go to a stud poking out of one of your upper gearbox bolts

alternator cable is live, either to starter or battery positive terminal again depending on what its from. the mk4 cable goes to the battery mounted fusebox

Smithdog84 likes this.
  3. Smithdog84 Forum Member

ah ok thanks mate. It was mainly the ring in the middle of the long negative.
    It’s in a mk 3.5 cabrio.
    Is what your saying above that it goes to a bolt on gearbox?
    Can’t quite understand what your saying.

thanks for the quick reply though. will be straight on this as soon as I get some dry weather.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the middle ring on a mk3 goes to an earth stud on the chassis leg, it might be under the battery tray from memory. if so that'll be why its hard to spot :lol:

was meant to say 'the end one goes to gearbox'