Alternator bracket

Discussion in '16-valve' started by joe98, Mar 5, 2019.

1. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

So the alternator bracket on my Mk2 has broken.

Can anyone direct me to the bracket I need?

It’s a 16v engine in an 8v shell without power steering.

Cheers

2. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

4. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

Okay great, thanks for the help

5. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

I ordered the part off eBay and took it to the garage and they said it fit the car but the alternator doesn’t fit into the bracket.

Apparently the alternator is supposed to sit over the bracket on the right hand side but it doesn’t fit.

Are there any other brackets that might fit this?

Attached Files:

6. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

7. rubjonny

the ebay one is listed for 86 mk2 only and also the scirocco, looking at it its basically the same as the one you bought but with an extra bit up the top so it wouldn't really help you.

can you take pics of the broken bracket and/or get the part number off it? also check the alternator if there is anything readable on it. I wonder if its had 8v bits grafted on...

best pics I could find of what it should look like, note at the bottom theres a bolt threaded in from either side of the bottom of the alternator into the top holes of the alternator bracket in your picture
    img_1369.jpg img_1370.jpg

8. rubjonny

9. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

Theres nothing on the alternator but I've been told the bracket fits the car. Since Im never going to find the right bracket, can I just find an alternator that fits to the bracket instead?

10. rubjonny

Yeah we need to see what you have just to make sure all is as it should be. the 16v alternator is different to the 8v one this is why I'm thinking something might be up. its possible the alternator setup isnt even from a mk2 golf, the mk3 golf alternator setup is popular upgrade...

do you have any pics of your engine to hand? (maybe start a build thread ;))

11. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

The alternator didn't have any markings I don't think, the cars at the garage parked at the garage right now so I could probably get some pics later tonight.

And I don't think the alternator was bolted on using a proper bracket in the first place, thats why it kept cutting out I reckon. The first garage I took it to said the previous owner had bodged some metal together to get the alternator on so im guessing he couldn't find a proper bracket.

using the bracket pictured above, is it possible to find an alternator for the car just so I can get it running again?

12. rubjonny

for any of the alternator brackets above you'll need a mk2 or corrado 16v alternator 027903015, 027903015A, 027903015X or 034903017X are current part numbers for them. can be tricky to get but I did find this:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280557240796

only trouble is if its been bodged up to fit a different alternator you may need the tensioner arm and some of the bolts as well :(

13. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

So using this bracket can I use the alternator you've suggested?

Attached Files:

14. rubjonny

yes the alternator above is the correct 16v type to go with the 16v bracket you have. but get some pics of your existing setup then we can see what we have to work with. if its an 8v alternator then you could possibly get an 8v alternator bracket, be cheaper I expect.

plus as I say, even if you get the 16v alternator it might still not go if the upper bracket is bodged off something else and you'd have to source one of those too

15. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

88DE2B70-A99D-4E67-9E09-C5A4C626F651.jpeg 7F66348A-B20B-4206-A641-FA0CF0FE458C.jpeg So that’s where my alternator bolts on. There’s obviously no bracket as I can’t find one that fits both the car and the alternator.

I’m going back to the car later so I’ll get some pictures of the alternator

16. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

D7575890-5F07-487D-97E1-5C8D9472A97C.jpeg FEAAC01C-2473-4FC5-830F-30E2D39F43A0.jpeg There’s the bracket next to the alternator. I can’t find a bracket that fits my alternator so would it be best to order a new alternator to fit the bracket?

I have the other bracket arriving that I linked above but I’m unsure if it’ll fit the alternator, I can always send it back

17. rubjonny

yep thats an 8v alternator! The 16v has 2 lugs that go on the outside of the bracket you have, and a bolt either side that thread thru the alternator holes into the threads on the bracket.

If you want to go back to full 16v setup you need upper tensioner bracket 027903133E and toothed bolt 034903555B if you haven't already got them, though the bracket you have might work ok.

What you had before must have been custom or off another model, as the 8v lower alternator bracket is still attached to the block! You cant use it on a 16v though as the alternator will sit too high. Maybe a 16v bracket was machined out in the centre till the 8v alternator slotted inside it? could explain why it broke...

18. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

So using the bracket I’ve got can I use the 16v alternator you mentioned earlier and then just get the two other part numbers you’ve just mentioned as well?

19. rubjonny

yep, though you might be ok with the upper tensioner bracket and bolt you already have

20. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

You couldn't have been more helpful John. I would've been completely stuck without you and Club GTI.

So 027903017X alternator and then I can try use the existing setup and if not I'll get the upper tensioner and bolt for the 16v?