Another old VW! Corrado VR6

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by UKLonar, Sep 21, 2021.

1. UKLonar

UKLonar Paid Member Paid Member

Well, it happened again. Having the mk2 away for its engine swap has caused me to get bored and make another purchase.. Enter this Corrado VR6 in a rather nice Aqua blue pearl!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've always fancied one and the previous owner has really put a lot into it. It's had a window out respray, engine rebuild, chassis refresh and loads more, I've got loads and loads of reciepts. Here's a few pics the PO gave me to give you an idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It came with a load of parts too. I need to shift some of them on, but really do need to research prices first.

[​IMG]

The plan is to sort out a few niggles and add my own mark to the car. Some issues I'm aware of are:

• ABS light stays on (Plan to check with VAGCOM)
    • Intermittent Speedo (Cuts out here and there, annoying.)
    • A few bulbs in dash need sorting.
    • Sound deadening under bonnet needs replacing (Dreadnought kit to order)
    • Shims for battery terminals.
    Overall I'm very happy with it, it's a fantastic base to work with. Having all the major stuff sorted already.

There was however some drama on the way home which has since resulted in me replacing the ignition switch.. big thanks to @cupracraig for helping me out once or twice already! More to follow soon.

2. UKLonar

As I eluded to, the ignition switch was knackered. This caused me to "break down" 5 minutes from my house after a 4 hour drive home... I had to push the car with the help of a stranger into the local shopping estate which was good fun. Me and Craig picked the car up the day after and the problem was Intermittent.. but we did get to a show together the same day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. UKLonar

Today, I changed the ignition switch after work and this has sorted the starting problem.. not bad for 8 quid!

It's a fiddly job, but straightforward really.

You'll need a socket set (10mm and 24mm), some regular screwdrivers and some small watchmaker style screwdrivers to get at the screw.

The switch PN is:
    6N0905865

The process is as follows:

Remove the horn push by gently pulling all tabs free, remove steering wheel by loosening the 24mm bolt.. leave this on a bit whilst you pull the wheel away or you'll knock your teeth out.

[​IMG]

Remove the lower surround, it's held in with two screws.

Undo the bolt on the steering rake adjuster, loosen the adjuster so it's no longer attached to the rake adjuster bar thing.

Unscrew the three long screws in the stalks, pull this away from the second set of stalks.

[​IMG]

You can now remove the upper surround by tilting it and gently pulling it.

Unplug the second stalk and move it away from column.

Now you'll have (limited) access to the switch. Unplug this before you look for the screw.

[​IMG]

Now, look to the left of where the switch is located. You should see the screw for it. Use some agility and a small screwdriver to undo do this screw, then pull the switch out.

Fit your new switch and follow the process backwards! Make sure to test that the switch works before putting everything back together!

4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Very nice corrado, great colour too.
    Is that wsm sea front I spy in the pics, one of my old haunts many moons ago.

UKLonar likes this.
  5. UKLonar

Thanks mate, probably my favourite colour too. Followed by blackberry.

It is WSM seafront, it was from the Cruise to the prom show on this weekend gone.

dodgy likes this.
  6. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

my 10mm spanner saved the day again!

its a relly nice car mate, glad you are happy with it! i want first dibs when you sell

UKLonar likes this.
  7. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

That is a lovely looking Corrado :thumbup: always wanted one of those.

UKLonar likes this.
  8. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Really nice car.

UKLonar likes this.
  9. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

Very nice mate!

UKLonar likes this.
  10. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Looks like a clean car!

UKLonar likes this.
  11. watercooled Forum Member

Wow stunning car,makes mine look like a bit of a sh#tter lol.
    Are the wheels Porsche Speedlines ?.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    UKLonar likes this.
  12. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

those seats [l]

UKLonar and suggs_84 like this.
  13. suggs_84

suggs_84 Paid Member Paid Member

That is bootiful, love the colour and the seats! [8D]

Was it on eBay? I've been looking at them recently on eBay myself and 99.9% sure i read the advert for that car, recognise the wheels and the thing about the speedo. Not buying one myself, i just like them haha

UKLonar likes this.
  14. UKLonar

Thanks everyone! It's a cracking example, I'll be sure to post updates as I do bits to make it that much better.

I'll have to have a look at yours mate. They're RH ZW1 2 piece splits, the Porsche logo is unfortunately just a sticker!

Very posh eh? That's two cars with Recaro LS now ;)

It was on eBay yes! I saw the ad and ended up watching it closely, thinking carefully if it's something I wanted to go for. Really glad I did in the end.

suggs_84 likes this.
  15. UKLonar

Minor update, I've replaced the wing indicator lenses as one was knackered here's a before and after:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excuse the fluff on the paintwork!

I've also sorted the speedo fault by fitting a new speed sensor on top of the gearbox, very straightforward job but a bit fiddly due to location. Follow the wire that snakes off from the large harness connector above the gearbox on the side of the head, the sensor has a 3 pin connector on it.

The PN is 191919149D and it looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few more bits planned on the weekend weather permitting, will update soon!

erreesse, cupracraig and dodgy like this.
  16. UKLonar

I had noticed that my fans didn't work on their own. So I tested the plug on radiator switch and found that worked fine on both stage 1 and 2 fan settings, albeit only switching on one fan each.. which was a weird set up from the PO..

I replaced the switch with a genuine one (1H0959481B for late triangle 3 pin) and happy days, that got them to work automatically.

After that, @cupracraig and I had a look at the fan wiring to see if we could get both working instead of one or the other. With a bit of fiddling, Craig rewired the fans and now both spin at the same time! My override switch stopped working at the same time though, which isn't a big deal given the fans work on their own now but I'd still like to investigate as it's a nice to have.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  17. UKLonar

I also found a leak in the tailgate, so I replaced the rear seal with a T4 seal.. if you look below is basically the same shape.. it's a bit tougher to shut the boot but I'd have thought that'll go in time.

[​IMG]

However, that unfortunately didn't fix it, so I got someone to hose the boot down whilst I sat inside. I had found it was dripping through the wiper seal.

I found a diagram on ETKA for the rear wiper for reference and took the assembly apart. I found that the rubber spacer seal was upside down. Refitting it all correctly and tightening everything down appears have fixed that leak, so one more job crossed off the list.

costel1969 and erreesse like this.
  18. UKLonar

Another small fix was sorting the PCV breather system.

The previous owner had fit a filter which caused fumes to come into the car and cause a bit of smoke to come out the bonnet.

The intake side was also just letting in unmetered air, as the bung had gone missing as pictured here.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I fitted a Mk3 VR6 breather hose (021103493A) in between the two sections. No more unmetered air or oily messes and no more getting fumed out inside the car!

[​IMG]

costel1969, Vinnie and erreesse like this.
  19. JCS16V Forum Member

Stunning car, and those Recaro's are epic.

UKLonar likes this.
  20. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Beautiful car mate and a well sorted build