Another old VW! Corrado VR6

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by UKLonar, Sep 21, 2021.

1. UKLonar

UKLonar Paid Member Paid Member

Long time since the last update, I've a few things left to sort out but have done a few bits.

I changed the plastic seat guides on the drivers seat to stop it from rocking left and right so much, made quite the difference for a 2 quid piece of plastic!

I also fitted Audi TT wiper arms and 20" Bosch aero blades, whilst doing this I replaced all the washer hose under the bonnet. What a world of difference, I'd recommend this upgrade to anyone!

For reference, what you need is two Mk1 TT drivers side arms and it's a straight swap with your corrado arms. If anyone needs a link to the wipers, drop me a PM.

I've gone around underneath to check for any surface rust too, only finding a few bits here and there. I've rubbed these all back, treated and sealed to keep it tidy for years to come.

I suppose the biggest difference is new wheels, which are BBS RX201 I believe. I bought these as the RH wheels unfortunately developed a slow leak from a split bolt.

[​IMG]

Few bits to sort next, then I'd have thought it'll be up for sale fairly soon after as the mk2 should be back.

suggs_84, erreesse, caddyboet and 2 others like this.
  2. UKLonar

Few bits of progress today.

I had the rear ABS rings looked at as I was getting no signal on VCDS. It turned out that one side was missing and the other was knackered.. so new rings on and no more ABS fault (so far anyway)!

Also had tracking done and track rod ends sorted, which has made steering feel much better.

One other random find was a knackered wire on the lambda wiring. This has also been fixed, which is great as who knows what oddities that may have caused.

Hopefully only little bits to sort moving forward now as the car really doesn't need much at all.

dodgy likes this.
  3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

We had lambda wiring issues on the polo, eml came on about every third drive and once started bogging down as if it had choke out!
    Was the loom between engine and inner wing, replaced all 8 wires for peace of mind.

UKLonar likes this.
  4. UKLonar

I've not had anything obvious pop up, which is weird considering the wiring was knackered. Apparently there was one wire ruined from rubbing along the floor.

Will have to drive it about and see if there's any obvious differences.

dodgy likes this.
  5. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Good your replacement rings solved your ABS issue. I had some problems when I bought the car and worked through, shout if you need a hand. I fixed the brake switch (the one that fits into the master cylinder) by taking it apart and re-soldering the connections, replaced sensors but in the end the fault i was seeing was duff valves in the ABS pump so had that replaced. The ABS and braking system in general is a PITA on the Corrado - best bet is to get rid of it all a replace with the system used in the mk3 - but that is a big job.

UKLonar likes this.
  6. UKLonar

Put this up for sale last week and the first person to view bought it!

Hopefully the golf will be back soon, but I'm sure I'll pick something else up to play with in a few months time or so.

Loved owning this Corrado and I'd recommend owning one to anyone thinking about it, you won't be disappointed.