any different between wiring of mk4 1.6 and a mk4 1.8 20v

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by jasonm, Mar 26, 2018.

1. jasonm New Member

Hi guys just wanted some help I got a mk4 1.6 engine want to change it for a mk4 1.8 20v want to no if der is any difference with da wiring loom or is der any other mods I need to do?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

as long as both looms are from similar age mk4 then the 20v will plug straight in. look at car plugs and new loom see if they both have the same number of pins on the big plug in engine bay. if 1 is 10 pin and the other 14 then you need to change the plug on one side to suit noting that 2 of the pin positions are swapped. This is the large plug near the ecu connector, cant miss it. Some cars its inside the plastic loom channel on the chassis leg, others its wedged between the battery and the inner wing.

Plus check coloured plugs in scuttle. if one has a white plug and the other green then you need to swap 2 pins and chop a bit of the plug on one side to allow them to fit together or swap the right colour mating plug.

3. Barry Osbourne New Member

Hi I'm having a bit of trouble finding engine loom from my ECU to coils and injectors the big plug near the battery wiring is different to what I purchased from someone was from AUM golf gti mk4 turbo1.8 AUM engine year 2001 but 3 of the wiring was missing or wrong places I'm looking for the plug that has 2-4-6-8-10-12-14----1-3-5-7-9-11-13
    10 is blank and 14 is blank

4. rubjonny

are you converting a mk4 golf?

5. Barry Osbourne New Member

No just looking for the normal loom

6. rubjonny

so you just want the cable offcut to splice into your mk1/2/3 conversion loom?